Happy Meatless Monday! I’ve mentioned before that I’m a veggie-lover trapped in a family of carnivores…so when I create a vegetarian recipe that fulfills my meat & potatoes-loving hubby…I know it’s worthy to share with all of you! This recipe for Baked Falafel is gluten-free and vegan! It’s a recipe that has been years (seriously years) in the making! After countless trials and errors, I’ve finally hit the falafel pot of gold!
This Baked Falafel recipe is best when made in the food processor. Start by processing the chunkier ingredients (chickpeas, herbs, & onions).
Then add the rest of the ingredients. To keep these gluten-free ground flaxseed is used as the binding agent. It works beautifully and resulted in some amazingly delicious little falafels! 😉
The next step is super important! To keep your falafel from sticking to the pan, you need to grease it with olive oil (not nonstick spray). Simply “glug” about 1 TBS of olive oil onto the pan and use a spatula (or your fingers) to spread it around. This ensures that there is a sufficient amount of oil to crisp the falafel and make it easy to flip halfway through baking. Form about 2 TBS portions of falafel mixture into thin patties and place on your greased baking sheet! Bake for about 20 minutes, flip them over & bake for 10 more (or until golden brown). Remove and EAT! 🙂
When I was pregnant with my son I craved falafel all.the.time. I ate at a local Lebanese restaurant at least once a week (no joke) because I hadn’t yet perfected the art of falafel-making! Plus, they had the best pillowy-soft pita bread in the history of the world (still haven’t been able to duplicate that one yet)!
My daughter, who was not yet two, would eat with me (because she goes where I go), and people would always stop and comment. “Wow…how old is your daughter? My 18 month old would never have eaten that!” I would simply smile thank them… but it wasn’t like I had to force falafel on her…she absolutely loved it! When I make them now, she always claims the leftovers for lunch the next day. Makes her mommy proud! 😉
However, we moved way from Chicagoland and all the glorious dining options I was so accustomed to. Since moving to Salt Lake City almost 3 years ago, I have yet to find falafel that even comes close to what I could get back in Chi-Town…so I made it my mission to create this delicious and healthy recipe!
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup white onion, finely diced
- 1 cup fresh parsley (lightly packed)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro (lightly packed)
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp coriander
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 TBS ground flaxseed
- 1 TBS olive oil (for greasing your pan)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add chickpeas, onions, parsley and cilantro to your food processor fitted with an “S” blade. Process until well combined (but still chunky).
- Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, coriander, cumin, baking powder and flaxseed. Process until well mixed and fine. (mixture will ball up in the processor).
- Generously grease a large baking sheet with oil (olive or canola).
- Roll about 2 TBS of falafel mixture into balls and then flatten into discs and place on baking sheet evenly spaced.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, flip and bake on second side for 10-15 minutes (until golden brown)
- Remove from oven and serve with tzatziki sauce, in a pita, or on a salad!
These freeze very well! Simply reheat in the oven when ready to eat!
Do you love falafel? Do your kids have strange favorite foods?
I hope you all have an amazing Memorial Day! It’s my sweet baby girl’s 1st birthday today (insert LOTS of emotions). I’m so grateful I get to be her momma. More on her to come later this week! I can’t believe my Naomi is ONE.
If you make something from JoyFoodSunshine I would love to see your creations! #joyfoodsunshineInstagram: @joyfoodsunshine
Pin me for later!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JoyFoodSunshine!