Sometimes I count dessert as part of my meal. Seriously. I plan how much I will consume based on the amount of dessert I feel like eating. That’s why I focus on making healthy sweets! They taste amazing and are packed with nutrients! Enter these black bean brownies.
Last night I had these for dinner (with some roasted veggies). Topped with a dollop of almond butter, I got a healthy dose of protein while thoroughly enjoying myself. I thought I would share this recipe with you before Valentine’s Day. Because I love them. And you will love them too. And Valentine’s Day is all about love.
On the topic of love…about two years ago we moved from Chicago, where we were born and raised, to Utah. We left everyone we love (I mean, my entire family). It has been a rough transition for me especially with three little ones. I don’t make friends easily…I’m an introverted homeschooler with kids who take naps. Enough said. However, I managed to make a friend (yay) and we totally get each other. Like, totally. She gave me the original recipe for these brownies (see what I mean? She rocks), and I tweaked them just a bit to create the best black bean brownies I have ever had.
I also love my Vitamix. (I just taught autocorrect that word. I obsessively wax on about my blender not a vitamin thankyouverymuch). It can take unusual ingredients and turn them into something beautiful.
Like a can of beans mixed with other things…into this….(sigh).
I love that these brownies are dairy-free, gluten-free and refined sugar free! I get a delicious dessert without wreaking havoc on my digestive system! Win win.
These are the only black bean brownies I have ever made that taste good directly out of the oven (and I’ve tried tons). They are fudgy (is there any other kind of brownie?), chocolatey and delicious! I store them in the refrigerator and just warm them in the microwave for about 10 seconds to restore the fresh-from-the-oven taste!
Bet you can’t eat just one…
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained, and rinsed
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8x8" baking pan and set aside.
- Put beans, coconut oil, coconut sugar and honey into a blender (Vitamix) or food processor. Blend until well combined.
- Add cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and vanilla. Blend until smooth.
- Add in eggs and blend until just combined.
- Mix in ½ cup chocolate chips by hand.
- Pour into greased 8×8-inch pan and top with remaining ¼ cup chocolate chips.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is set and brownies are just barely pulling away from the sides.
- Let cool, cut and ENJOY!
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Reheat for 15 seconds in the microwave to restore the fresh-from the oven gooeyness.
If your oven cooks hot please check these at 25 minutes. If you want gooey fudgey brownies you cannot over bake them!
Here is a recipe for a vegan peanut butter frosting that makes these even more incredible.
What is your favorite dessert? What are you making for Valentine’s Day?
If you make something from JoyFoodSunshine I would love to see your creations! #joyfoodsunshine
Pin me for later! 🙂
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JoyFoodSunshine!