It is no secret that I adore Asian food! From these to this to these…my love for Asian-inspired dishes knows no bounds. This Crispy Hoisin Tofu Recipe is a quick and easy, high-protein meal that my entire family loves! Seriously! Everyone, from my meat-and-potatoes husband to my sweet baby girl, loves this crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, hoisin sauce-crusted tofu! Serve with your favorite stir-fried veggies and you have yourself the perfect dinner! Plus this recipe is gluten-free and vegan!
I enjoy tofu immensely…if it is extra-firm and extra well-done. Texture is everything to me…which is why this Crispy Hoisin tofu recipe is one of my favorites. This tofu is perfectly crispy on all sides and crusted with the most delicious combination of spices and hoisin sauce.
So, let’s dive in! You begin by cooking the tofu in a mixture of peanut & sesame oil until it’s golden brown on one side. If you do not have peanut oil you can substitute another mild-flavored oil (olive, avocado, canola, etc.). However please (pretty please) do not leave out the sesame oil. It imparts a richness of flavor that cannot be achieved without any other oil variety out there!
Once your tofu is sufficiently browned on one side, add your seasonings and cook some more, stirring to ensure it is evenly browned. Once every side has reached golden-brown perfection, add your hoisin sauce and cook until it’s nicely crusted and crunchy on the outside. The sauce caramelizes and leaves you with sweet and salty, richly flavored, crispy bites of tofu that you will love so much you won’t want to share!
This tofu is best when served with stir-fried veggies and noodles or rice! However, I recommend that you serve it separately (i.e. do not add it to the veggies you are stir-frying) to preserve the crispiness! TIP: cook your tofu and set your oven to warm. Once it’s done transfer the tofu to an oven-safe dish and put in the oven while you cook up your veggies!
- 14 oz extra-firm tofu, drained
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp powdered ginger
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 TBS peanut oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 TBS hoisin sauce
- Place your tofu in a fine-mesh strainer or colander and rinse. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together garlic powder, powdered ginger, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Cut the tofu into 1” cubes.
- Add peanut oil and sesame oil to a non-stick frying pan and heat over medium heat.
- Add cubed tofu pieces to the pan and stir to coat with oil.
- Cook tofu for 5 minutes or until browned on one side.
- Sprinkle with your seasoning mix and stir until coated.
- Continue cooking until all sides are light-medium brown. (about 10-15 minutes)
- Evenly pour hoisin sauce onto the browned tofu pieces and stir until all your cubes are evenly coated with sauce.
- Cook for 5 more minutes, or until the tofu becomes dark brown and crispy.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately over stir-fried veggies or your favorite rice/noodles!
My husband’s birthday is coming up next week, and I’m in full-out planning mode! I like to make him feel super special…I think I figured out the perfect gift for him (but I can’t give anything away because he’s totally reading this…love you babe)! Plus, I’ve been planning the menu for weeks! The next two recipes I share will be dedicated to my stud of a husband in celebration of his birthday week! I am actually super excited to share them with you because they are some of our favorite, good-for-the-soul recipes!
Do you plan big birthday celebrations for your family members?
Pin me for later! ????
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JoyFoodSunshine!