Good morning. Welcome to my favorite time of the day. Yes, it’s true. I am unquestionably a morning person.
What’s not to love? Breakfast? Yum. Exercising? Endorphins. Coffee? Yes please. I think the main reason I love mornings is because it’s the two hours in the day when my house is quiet. I wake up at 5 AM in order to experience this peaceful bliss, but I’ve always had a thing for the early morning hours…I dig them. You see, I’m an introvert trapped in an extrovert’s body. Being surrounded by people drains me, while alone time renews and refreshes me. The minute my sweet kiddos come bounding down the stairs I need to be ready to be an extrovert, answering 1.5 million questions, soaking in every snuggle and playing endless rounds of candy land. It’s awesomely exhausting.
Getting to start the day reveling in some peace and quiet is a game-changer. It energizes me and prepares me for a day of mommying and wife-ing. I really don’t want to be the “shhhh” mom. You’ know the one I mean. I want my kids to be their loud, crazy, giggly, fun selves without always hearing me saying “be quiet.” I want to nurture, not stifle their little-big personalities. So I sneak in a some down time first thing in the morning to fill up my tank for the day.
I’ve tried my fair share of healthy muffin recipes, and these are the champions. They have everything I’m looking for to help my kids start the day right, veggies, protein and fiber, plus they actually taste good. These don’t need a dollop of this or half a jar of peanut butter on top to make them palatable. They stand alone beautifully and my kids devour them. I keep them on hand in the freezer at all times. One minute in the microwave and I have a healthy delicious breakfast to start our crazy day off deliciously. Win. Win. Win.
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup almond flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 TBS coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1 cup unpeeled, finely shredded zucchini (about 1 medium zucchini)
- ¼ cup chocolate chips (or cinnamon chips)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a standard muffin pan, set aside.
- Combine the coconut flour, almond flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl, set aside.
- Put banana, coconut sugar, and coconut oil into your food processor fitted with the “S” blade or blender (Vitamix) and process until smooth.
- Add the eggs, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar and process/blend until just combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and pulse to combine.
- Add the zucchini and process/blend until evenly mixed into the batter.
- Mix in chocolate chips (or cinnamon chips) by hand.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of each muffin comes out clean. (To make into bread bake in 9x5” loaf pan for 35-40 minutes!)
- These muffins freeze VERY well. I make a batch, freeze them and pop them out for an easy, healthy breakfast for my kids! I just reheat for 1 minute in the microwave (from frozen) and let them cool a bit! My kids LOVE these.
This recipe is slightly adapted from the blog Meaningful Eats! Please click here for the original recipe!
You can also use cinnamon chips in these Paleo Zucchini Banana Muffins (although they are not paleo they are delicious)!
What’s your favorite time of the day? Are you a morning person?
If you make something from JoyFoodSunshine I would love to see your creations! #joyfoodsunshine
Pin me for later! 🙂
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JoyFoodSunshine!