I am super excited that today begins an 8-week series here at JoyFoodSunshine that I’m calling “Homemade Holidays!” From now until Christmas I will be sharing some of my favorite recipes that make the holidays memorable in our house! From special breakfasts, to scrumptious treats, to savory sides and main dishes…I’ll give you a little insight into how we partayyyy! 😉 I’m kicking off the series by sharing this recipe for Slow Cooker Balsamic Pot Roast, which is my go-to main dish recipe for Christmas day, Easter, etc.
I L-O-V-E this recipe for many reasons. Reason Number One: it is a healthy and delicious main dish option! This Slow Cooker Balsamic Pot Roast is paleo, gluten-free and dairy-free!
Reason Number Two: This recipe takes very little prep work and can be made ahead of time! Truth be told, we are not huge ham eaters…and I don’t always have time to cook a turkey on holidays (especially because my hubby is a pastor and we always have church services on Christmas Eve and Easter Morning)!
I always toss this Slow Cooker Balsamic Pot Roast into my crockpot right before I go to bed the night before I want to serve it. We eat dinner early (I’m talking 5 PM on the dot), and I want to ensure this baby has enough time to be cooked low and slow for as long as it takes! Added bonus…it frees me up to enjoy the holiday instead of spending the whole day cooking!
Reason Number Three: This Slow Cooker Balsamic Pot Roast uses my favorite condiment of all time…Balsamic Vinegar! As always…when I share recipes that use balsamic vinegar I implore you to purchase only high-quality varieties.
A premium balsamic vinegar should be thick, sweet, and could easily be eaten alone. I recommend this 25-Year Aged Balsamic Vinegar or this Garlic Cilantro Balsamic Vinegar. Both of these can be purchased from my absolute favorite family-owned shop in my hometown….The Twisted Olive!
- 2 lbs boneless Chuck Roast
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup high quality balsamic vinegar
- 2 TBS honey
- 1 TBS honey mustard
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 TBS tapioca flour or arrowroot powder
- Generously grease the bowl of your slow cooker. Set aside
- In a small bowl, mix together garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together balsamic vinegar, honey, mustard and beef broth. Set aside.
- Coat the roast in 1 TBS olive oil (I spread it around with my hands). Set in your slow cooker.
- Evenly sprinkle the roast with the rub, pressing it into the meat so it sticks.
- Pour sauce over roast and turn your slow cooker onto low.
- Cook on low for 8-12 hours, occasionally spooning more sauce over the roast, until it is very easily shredded with a fork.
- Shred and continue cooking on low for another 1 hour.
- Just before you are ready to serve, remove the meat from the sauce and strain the sauce through a fine mesh strainer into a large bowl (do NOT pour it down the drain)!
- Transfer sauce to a saucepan and whisk in 1 TBS tapioca flour or arrowroot powder.
- Cook on medium heat until sauce becomes thick.
- Pour ¼ of the thickened sauce over the meat and save the rest for people to spoon on when you serve!
- Eat and enjoy!
I always start cooking this roast at night before I go to sleep so that I can be sure it has adequate time to cook well. Nothing worse than rushing a roast! 😉
Seriously, whenever I want to make a special-yet-healthy main dish…I choose this Slow Cooker Balsamic Pot Roast! I promise you will love it just as much as we do!
Question: What’s your favorite holiday main dish to serve to a crowd?
If you want to stay connected or you make something from JoyFoodSunshine I would love to see your creations! #joyfoodsunshine
Pin me for later! 🙂
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JoyFoodSunshine!