Chocolate Paleo Energy Balls Recipe! 5 minutes and 8 ingredients is all it takes to make this healthy snack! Vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free & date sweetened!
Happy August! I don’t want to sound all cliché, but seriously can you believe that we’re already 4 days into August?! I definitely can’t! Any who. It’s time for a seriously delicious healthy energy balls recipe!
I’ve already shared two healthy energy balls recipes (these and these) on the blog, which we love, but these Chocolate Paleo Energy Balls are definitely the new favorite in la casa de JoyFoodSunshine.
There’s something magical about the sweet/buttery combination of cashews and pecans that makes these chocolate date balls taste like little bites of chocolate brownie heaven.
How to make Paleo Energy Balls
These Chocolate Paleo Energy Balls are adapted from my Almond Butter Energy Bites recipe. They are vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free and only sweetened with dates! Plus, they take a mere 5 minutes to make!
1. Use a Vitamix or Food Processor
Either machine works extremely well in making these Chocolate Paleo Energy Balls! just be sure not to over-process or blend your healthy energy balls or they will end up oily and not easy to handle.
2. Process dates first.
I always process my dates first for two reasons.
- I like to make sure there are no surprise pits in them and
- They take the longest to blend well so getting them started first ensures you won’t over-process these coconut date energy balls!
These Chocolate Paleo Energy Balls are best when served cold! We actually store ours in the freezer! We usually eat them frozen, but sometimes will let them thaw a little bit before enjoying them!
True story: My kids expect me to have some sort of energy bite on hand at all times. Every day, after I put sweet little Naomi down for her nap, the rest of us have a snack. Bethany and Gabe run to the freezer and pick out their favorite ball (i.e. the biggest one they can find) and we go outside to sit at the picnic table and enjoy a mid-morning treat. They L-O-V-E to eat these…and I love that they’re fueling their cute little bodies with lots of healthy fats, protein and fiber.
Chocolate Paleo Energy Balls: Substitutions
Here are a few substitutions that can be made in these Paleo Chocolate Brownie Energy Bites!
- Pecans/Cashews. I have included my absolute favorite combination of nuts to give the best brownie taste to these energy bites. However, you can substitute your favorite nuts, just be sure to use a total of 1 cup of nuts!
- Almond butter. Any nut butter works great in this recipe! My top recommendations are almond butter and cashew butter!
- Almond milk. Use your favorite non-dairy milk in this recipe!
IF YOU MAKE SOMETHING FROM JOYFOODSUNSHINE I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS! DON’T FORGET TO RATE THIS RECIPE AND LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW! ALSO, FOLLOW ALONG WITH ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND TWITTER FOR MORE RECIPE INSPIRATION AND A GLIMPSE INTO OUR EVERYDAY LIFE!
Chocolate Paleo Energy Balls
- Line a baking pan with wax paper, set aside. (You will not be baking these, you just need a place to set your rolled bites as you make them).
- Add the rest of the ingredients in the order listed (cocoa powder, salt, almond butter, almond milk, & vanilla) to your food processor and process until mixture just starts to clump together.
- Roll 1 TBS portions of your “dough” into balls and place them on your prepared baking sheet.
- Put them in the fridge or freezer until they harden.
- Transfer to an airtight container to save for later! These can be stored at room temperature, but will last longer when kept in the fridge or freezer! I think they taste the best cold/frozen!
So, today, August 4th is kind of a big deal because it’s the anniversary of the day I said “I do” to the man of my dreams! I am still madly in love with him after all this time (I mean he’s basically superman so how could I not be)?! We had our big celebration last week when my mom was in town and we went away for 28 hours by.our.selves (say what?!) But we’re still going out to dinner tonight to celebrate while some amazing friends play with our babies! I’m so grateful for a man who loves me unconditionally, is strong when I am weak, and is my partner for now and forever!
When is your anniversary? What is your favorite way to celebrate?
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JoyFoodSunshine!