Healthy Egg Casserole (Egg Bake)
This Egg Casserole (Egg Bake) is an easy breakfast casserole that's made with only 9 ingredients (eggs, veggies, bacon, cheese and seasoning)! It's a healthy, low-carb way to start the day!
Servings 10 Servings
- 5 slices bacon diced
- 1 cup onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 medium red bell pepper diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium green bell pepper diced (about 1 cup)
- 12 eggs beaten
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease a 9x13” baking dish, set aside.
In a large skillet, over medium heat, cook diced bacon until it just starts becomes soft.
Add minced garlic and onion and cook until bacon begins to brown.
Add red pepper and green pepper, cover and cook for 5-10 minutes or until the veggies are soft and bacon is browned, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat and let cool.
In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs.
Add sea salt and pepper and whisk to combine.
Add cooled bacon/veggie mixture to the beaten eggs and stir to combine.
Add cheese. Stir to combine.
Pour into prepared baking dish and spread the mixture evenly in the dish.
Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until top is set and slightly browned.
Cool for 5 minutes and serve warm.
- Bacon. I recommend choosing a thick bacon with great flavor (hickory smoked, etc.) Turkey bacon can also be used, but because of the lower fat content, you will likely need to add 1 TBS olive oil to the fry pan when you add the veggies to cook them well. You can also use crumbled breakfast sausage in place of bacon with equally delicious results!
- Onion. I usually make this egg casserole with a sweet, white onion. Any variety works well: red onion, yellow onion, green onions, etc.
- Bell Peppers. You can use any bell pepper variety you choose (red, orange, yellow, green, etc.) If you don't like peppers, substitute 2 cups of your favorite vegetables (broccoli, carrots, celery, zucchini, etc).
- Cheddar Cheese. I recommend an extra sharp cheddar cheese for the best flavor! Other cheeses that taste great in this egg bake recipe are: Colby jack, Swiss cheese, pepper jack (for a spicy flavor) and mozzarella!
Make a Vegetarian Egg Bake
If you wish to leave out the bacon and make this vegetarian, use 2 TBS olive oil to sauté the vegetables.
Calories: 180kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 216mg | Sodium: 336mg | Potassium: 175mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 815IU | Vitamin C: 26mg | Calcium: 116mg | Iron: 1mg