Balsamic Sausage and Peppers
This Skillet Balsamic Chicken Sausage and Peppers recipe is a delicious, quick & easy dinner that's ready in under 20 minutes. Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage is sautéed with garlic, onions, and peppers and coated with balsamic vinegar! It's my go-to healthy weeknight meal when I don't have a lot of time to cook, but still want a healthy and delicious dinner for my family!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
Servings 6 Servings
- 12 oz Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage 4 links, diced
- ½ cup onion diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 4 TBS olive oil divided
- 1 green bell pepper diced (1 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 yellow bell pepper diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 TBS Italian seasoning
- ¼- ½ tsp sea salt or to taste
- ¼ tsp pepper or to taste
- 3 TBS balsamic vinegar choose a high quality, thick, sweet variety of balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese for serving
Add 2 TBS olive oil, sausage, garlic and onion to a non-stick skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until the sausage is lightly browned, stirring occasionally (5-7 minutes).
Add diced peppers and 2 additional tablespoons of olive oil. Stir until combined.
Cover and sauté until peppers are soft and slightly browned, stirring occasionally (about 5 minutes).
Add Italian seasoning, sea salt and pepper and stir to combine.
Add balsamic vinegar and stir until combined.
Cook, uncovered, until vinegar is thickened and the sausage/vegetable mixture is evenly coated, about 3-5 minutes.
Taste and adjust salt/pepper and balsamic vinegar, if desired.
Serve over pasta with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
- Chicken Sausage. Any sausage variety works! Just be sure to choose a variety that complies with your dietary needs! My favorite is Applegate Organic's sweet Italian sausage - but it's hard to find where I live, so Aidell's is my next chicken sausage of choice!
- Olive Oil. Any neutral oil works well in this recipe! I prefer olive oil or avocado oil! I have also used flavor-infused olive oils and love the results when I do.
- Balsamic Vinegar. An outstanding balsamic vinegar should be thick and naturally sweet. If your vinegar pours like water instead of like syrup and tastes sour then you do NOT have a quality product and your recipe will not turn out as delicious.
- Peppers. Any mixture of colored peppers works well! You can also substitute other veggies for some of the peppers! I have used zucchini, carrots, broccoli, and more with great success!
Serving: 0.25recipe | Calories: 244kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 43mg | Sodium: 748mg | Potassium: 158mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 981IU | Vitamin C: 80mg | Calcium: 72mg | Iron: 1mg