This Balsamic Sausage and Peppers recipe is a delicious meal that’s ready in under 20 minutes. Gluten-free, dairy-free, and paleo! Plus it’s toddler and husband approved!
Do you ever need a meal that’s ready in 15 minutes and tastes amazing? (Hand in the air!) This Balsamic Sausage and Peppers Recipe is one of my family’s favorite meals to eat, and mine to cook! It comes together quickly, has so many amazing flavors, and is loved by even the tiniest members of my family!
I can’t share this recipe without pausing for a moment to discuss one of the ingredients that is near and dear to my heart, Garlic Cilantro Balsamic Vinegar.
My husband bought it for me as a Christmas present in the beginning of our marriage. I was actually mad about it (shakes head while reminiscing on our early years of matrimony) because I thought, “Cilantro is a Mexican flavor and balsamic vinegar is Italian, when am I EVER going to use this? and on what?” Then I protested this self-contradictory product by letting it sit on my shelf for a solid year, unopened. The day I finally decided to use it changed my life forever. This balsamic vinegar is thick and sweet, as all excellent balsamics should be. When sautéed or roasted it caramelizes, increasing it’s amazingness. So I created many recipes, like this one, in which this balsamic vinegar is the star of the show. You can use any high quality bottle of BV, however if you can get your hands on this stuff you won’t be sorry.
The sweetness of the vinegar combined with the savory flavor of sausage is sheer perfection. Peppers add flavor and color! You can serve it over pasta (which is what I do for my family), but it stands alone beautifully and is gluten-free, paleo and dairy-free!
How to Make This Balsamic Sausage and Peppers Recipe
- Brown the sausage. Start by browning the sausage (for paleo be sure to use a paleo-approved variety)!
- Add peppers. Then toss in some peppers! I love using lots of colors but you can use your favorite! 🙂 I usually cover my pan to cook the peppers faster (I’m all about saving time)!
- Add Seasonings & Balsamic Vinegar. Then you add your seasonings and your balsamic vinegar. This is where a GREAT balsamic vinegar will stand out against those of lower quality. A good balsamic vinegar is thick and sweet. So as you cook your dish at this point please do NOT cover it! As the water cooks off it leaves you with a thick, syrupy balsamic vinegary goodness that coats everything to perfection.
Balsamic Sausage and Peppers Recipe: Substitutions
- Chicken Sausage. Any sausage variety works, from Aidells sausage varieties to your favorite Italian sausage! Just be sure to choose a variety that complies with your dietary needs!
- Olive oil. Any neutral tasting oil works well! I recommend olive or avocado oil!
- Garlic powder. Fresh minced garlic can be used in place of the powder. Just add it to the sausage while you are browning it!
- Onion powder. Fresh minced onion can be used in place of the powder. Just add it to the sausage while you are browning it!
IF YOU MAKE SOMETHING FROM JOYFOODSUNSHINE I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS! DON’T FORGET TO RATE THIS RECIPE AND LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW! ALSO, FOLLOW ALONG WITH ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND TWITTER FOR MORE RECIPE INSPIRATION AND A GLIMPSE INTO OUR EVERYDAY LIFE!
Balsamic Sausage & Peppers
- 1 package 5 links Chicken Sausage (I use Aidells chicken apple sausage), sliced into half moons
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 3 medium sweet bell peppers any color!, thinly sliced
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Garlic salt and pepperto taste
- 2-4 TBS garlic cilantro balsamic vinegar or other very high quality, thick, sweet variety of balsamic vinegar
- Cook your favorite pasta according to package instructions!
- Add 2 TBS olive oil to a non-stick skillet and add sliced sausage. Cook until lightly browned.
- Add peppers and sauté until peppers are soft and slightly browned. (The peppers cook faster if you cover the pan with a lid during this step)!
- Add garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper to your pan and stir.
- Add 2 TBS of your balsamic vinegar. DO NOT COVER the pan at this point. You want the vinegar to thicken up and coat the veggies and sausage.
- Cook until vinegar is thickened and everything is evenly coated. If necessary add more vinegar.
- Serve over pasta!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JoyFoodSunshine!