Today I am very excited to share an all-time family favorite recipe with you. I have been making this lightened up Pizza Casserole for my husband ever since we first got married, and he never gets tired of it! This dish is a busy mom’s dream because it….
- Is crazy easy to put together!
- Feeds a small army of people!
- Easily can be made ahead!
- Makes great leftovers!
- Freezes beautifully!
- Is beloved by all who try it!
Like I said, we have a major winner on our hands!
Let’s get this recipe party started! Begin by cooking your pasta! While that is going on, brown the turkey sausage and make your sauce. Combine the two components and pour the mixture into a baking pan. Top with cheese and pepperoni and bake! So simple and easy!
Once your Pizza Casserole has slightly cooled, top it with some fresh parsley and serve… (although my kids were convinced that it was a vegetable and proceeded to pick off every single piece, then move it to the side of their plates…LOL)!
My husband keeps a list of “dinner ideas” that he references when I ask him what he wants me to cook (you know, when I have run out of creativity and brainpower and need some serious help)! 😉 This Pizza Casserole is at the very top of his list!
Reasons to love this Recipe:
- Instead of a thick layer of cheese, this Pizza Casserole calls for a light sprinkling over the top for flavor!
- Replacing regular sausage & pepperoni with turkey sausage and turkey pepperoni provides a lightened up twist on a usually not-so-healthy dish!
Since this recipe yields a TON of Pizza Casserole, I love making it on weeks when I know I will need to rely on leftovers to feed my family a few times! It’s also great to serve to a large group of friends for dinner! The leftovers freeze beautifully, so if you can’t finish the entire casserole, freezing it for later is always an option!
IF YOU MAKE SOMETHING FROM JOYFOODSUNSHINE I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS! DON’T FORGET TO RATE THIS RECIPE AND LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW! ALSO, FOLLOW ALONG WITH ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND TWITTER FOR MORE RECIPE INSPIRATION AND A GLIMPSE INTO OUR EVERYDAY LIFE!
Lightened Up Pizza Casserole! An easy & delicious meal that is kid tested and husband approved!
- 3 cups dry Rotini or Penne Pasta
- 1 TBS Olive Oil
- 20 oz 1.25 lbs Italian turkey sausage
- 1 25 oz Jar Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce (or your favorite variety)
- 1 TBS Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup turkey pepperoni
- Preheat Oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain, rinse with cool water and transfer to a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a large sauté pan or skillet, add 1 TBS olive oil and 20 oz Italian turkey sausage. Sauté until sausage is brown and completely cooked through.
- Add pasta sauce to skillet and stir.
- Add Italian seasoning, garlic salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add sauce mixture to cooked and drained pasta (in a large bowl) and stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into a glass 9x13” baking pan.
- Sprinkle the top with mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
- Evenly place turkey pepperoni on top.
- Put dish (uncovered) into your preheated oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until top is golden brown and bubbly. Remove and serve!
I hope you love this dish as much as we do! Seriously I cannot emphasize enough how excited my entire tribe gets when they hear that Pizza Casserole is what’s for dinner!
If you make something from JoyFoodSunshine I would love to see your creations!