Homemade pizza is a regular in my household. A while back I shared our go-to easy pizza sauce recipe with you…but what’s pizza without the crust?! Cheese, good. Sauce, good. Toppings, good. However, I am a firm believer that the deliciousness of a pizza lies in the quality of it’s crust. This Easy Pizza Dough recipe comes together SO fast that it’s hard to believe you can make the absolute best pizza crust with so little effort! Plus, this dough is vegan and can be made gluten-free!
Truly folks, I make homemade pizza all.the.time…and I was tired of crust recipes that required waiting for the dough to undergo multiple rises over the course of many hours. I needed a recipe that tasted amazing but could be thrown together in 30 minutes, flat! So here it is…
Start by proofing your yeast…which means mixing together the water, sugar and yeast and letting it sit until it becomes foamy and bubbly.
While your yeast is proofing…take 5 minutes and make this homemade sauce (you won’t be sorry)!
Then, add your olive oil, flour and salt and stir to combine. Your dough will start to form a sticky ball.
NOTE: I have used a mixture of whole wheat & all-purpose flour and it still tastes wonderful. I have also made this crust using a 1:1 gluten-free all-purpose baking flour with great results!
Once it does, transfer your dough to a floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes, or until a smooth ball forms.
Once you get a pretty dough ball, roll it into your desired shape and put it on your pan. TIP: I always pre-bake my pizza crust before putting the toppings on. I have had too many experiences with perfectly browned cheese on top of disappointing, undercooked crust. Boo! So, to make sure that doesn’t happen I do two things…
- Pre-bake the crust for 5 minutes (no more) until it looks slightly set and a little bubbly (not brown at all)
- I always bake my pizzas on the lower rack of my oven to ensure the crust is closer to the heating element than than the cheese! 🙂
Once the dough is pre-baked, I slather on the sauce, toppings, etc. and bake for 15-20 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and the crust is golden brown!
- 1 cup warm water (105-110 degrees F)
- 1 TBS sugar
- 1 TBS active dry yeast
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Grease a pizza pan or large jelly roll pan and set aside.
- Put warm water into a large mixing bowl.
- Add sugar and yeast and stir to combine.
- Let mixture sit for 5 minutes, or until it becomes frothy and bubbles form.
- Add olive oil and gently stir to combine.
- Add flour and salt and mix with a spatula until a ball begins to form (dough will still be slightly sticky)
- Transfer to a floured surface and knead into a smooth dough, adding up to ½ cup extra flour if needed.
- Roll dough into your desired shape and gently transfer to your prepared pan.
- Bake on the lower rack of your preheated oven for 5 minutes and remove from your oven. (this is just to very slightly prebake the dough).
- Add pizza sauce and toppings of choice!
- Bake on the lower rack of your oven for around 15-20 minutes until the crust looks crispy and lightly browned.
- Let cool, cut and serve!
*I usually use 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour! **Gluten Free Option: I have used 1:1 all-purpose gluten-free baking flour to make this dough and it turned out very well!
Adapted from this recipe!
The crust itself is vegan…so you can make some pretty amazing vegan pizzas out of this delicious recipe! However, as I’ve mentioned before…I’m a veggie-lover trapped in a family of carnivores! The unanimous pizza topping of choice for my family is pepperoni! My hubby prefers turkey pepperoni (win)! But you can top your dough with anything…let your imagination run wild! My personal favorite is a little drizzle of balsamic vinegar, spinach, green peppers and goat cheese! YUM! 🙂
Do you make homemade pizza?
What’s your favorite pizza topping?!
If you make something from JoyFoodSunshine I would love to see your creations! #joyfoodsunshine
Pin me for later! 🙂
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JoyFoodSunshine!