I know that’s a pretty bold claim…lettuce wraps you can make at home that are better than the beloved dish from P.F. Chang’s?! It may be bold, but it’s true! This recipe is one that took me years of trial and error, and lots of taste-testing, to get it just right.
I’ve already discussed my love for Asian food here and here. These lettuce wraps are one of my favorite dinners. They are quick and easy and my whole family loves them. Even my kids eat them, and have tons of fun doing it! However, to be totally real with you all (because that’s the only way to be), I usually serve this to my kids over noodles or rice, because by the time dinner rolls around, I am so not interested in cleaning a slimy lettucey mess off of the floor. Yuck.
In other news, our basement is D-O-N-E! If I haven’t told you, my husband is incredible. For real…I will not be the least bit surprised if, 30 years from now, he tells me that he’s been living a double life…amazing husband and father by day, and secret agent by night. I’m actually half expecting it.
There are 250 hours of Ritch’s blood, sweat, and muscle behind those basement walls. I’m crazy grateful for all the hard word he did, so naturally we celebrated all week! Wednesday was the day carpet went in, so I made a steak dinner with raw cookie dough for dessert (no shame). Saturday we had a long-awaited pizza and a movie night with the kids. They l-o-v-e playing in the basement…however going down alone is completely out of the question. Gabe is convinced that a family of monsters already moved in, and Bethany demands an explanation for every.single.noise she hears. I love those goofballs.
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 TBS peanut oil
- ½ onion, minced
- 1 cup red or green pepper, diced
- 1 8 oz can water chestnuts, drained and minced
- 3 TBS soy sauce
- 3 TBS hoisin sauce
- 1 TBS sesame oil
- 1 TBS rice vinegar
- 1 TBS peanut butter
- 1 TBS honey
- 2 tsp sweet chili sauce (Trader Joe’s)!
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp powdered ginger
- ¼ cup peanuts, crushed.
- Lettuce or your favorite Asian salad
- Whisk together sauce ingredients until well combined. If you use a firmer peanut butter you may need to microwave the mixture for 30-60 seconds in order to melt it and ensure everything is well-mixed.
- Heat 2 TBS peanut oil in a frying pan. Once hot, add ground chicken.
- Cook until some pieces are starting to brown. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes or until the onion is becoming translucent.
- Add the peppers and water chestnuts and cook about 5 minutes or until peppers are becoming soft.
- Add sauce and simmer on low heat until the chicken and veggies are evenly coated and everything is heated through.
- Serve in lettuce leaves, on top of your favorite Asian salad, or over noodles or rice!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
If you make something from JoyFoodSunshine I would love to see your creations! #joyfoodsunshine
Pin me for later!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JoyFoodSunshine!