Ok folks, are you sick of recipes with zucchini in them? (I sure hope not)! I seriously think if I ever write a cookbook it would be titled, “How to Put Zucchini in Literally Everything.” I just can’t help it! I love making foods that are packed full of vegetables and fruits yet taste so good my kids think they’re eating dessert! This Zucchini Blueberry Bread combines two of my favorite summer produce items in a sweet bread that is gluten-free with zero refined sugar!
I also have a thing for dense baked goods. I like my bread chewy and moist, not fluffy and crumbly. My favorite way to ensure non-crumbly baked goods is by adding Greek yogurt! It adds moisture while boosting the protein content! Oat flour is also higher in protein than regular flour, so besides making the bread gluten-free, using oat flour increases the amount of protein and fiber..which leaves you feeling full longer!
Using a high-powered blender to combine your ingredients (of course I recommend the Vitamix) ensures that the vegetable police (i.e. kids everywhere under the age of 12) cannot detect the heaps of zucchini that are well-hidden inside of this bread! I suggest using fresh blueberries in this recipe! When I made a loaf using frozen berries they sunk to the bottom and gave a delicious (although not very pretty) layer of blueberries, instead of being spread out evenly throughout the bread. If you only have frozen berries, I recommend tossing them with extra oat flour before mixing them into your batter!
This recipe truly is the perfect breakfast! Paired with a hot cup of coffee, you’ll be ready for whatever comes your way! 🙂
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats, (gluten-free)!
- 4 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp [salt|
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup granulated sugar ( or coconut sugar)
- ½ cup milk (almond or regular)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup Greek yogurt (vanilla or plain)
- 1 cup zucchini
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cups fresh blueberries*
- Grind oats in your blender ([Vitamix|http://vitamixtrack.com/click.track?CID=292558&AFID=417333&ADID=1450715&SID=&NonEncodedURL=
- ]) until they resemble a fine flour! Transfer flour from your blender into a small bowl.
- Add baking powder, salt, and cinnamon to your oat flour. Mix & set aside.
- Put milk, sugar, yogurt, vanilla and zucchini in your blender or food processor. Blend until combined.
- Add dry ingredients and blend until smooth
- Add egg and blend until just combined
- Mix in blueberries by hand.
- Pour into 9x5” loaf pan and bake at 350 55-65 minutes or until top is hardened and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
*I have made this bread using frozen blueberries, but in order to keep them from sinking to the bottom I highly recommend tossing them in some extra oat flour before mixing them into your batter!
In other news….just when I thought my husband’s Star Wars nerddom couldn’t run any deeper, he received these shoes as a gift (thanks mom). I just about died laughing after he put them on…and still crack up every time I see them. Just to show the depth of the Star Wars insanity in my family…this is a real conversation we had at the dinner table one night….
Gabe: Can God lift up our house?
Bethany: No, he can’t because he doesn’t have The Force
Me: God can do anything…right Daddy? (Signals to husband with a look that says, “this is your fault“)
Ritch: Of course! God can use the Force to lift our house!
Me: (crying out in desperation), “The Force is not real! God can do anything because he’s God, no “force” required!”
Then my husband went into a brief theology lesson on the omnipotence of God! 😉 But seriously, for a moment there I felt like I was living in a looney bin (story of my life)!
OK! I hope you have an amazing day! 🙂
If you make something from JoyFoodSunshine I would love to see your creations! #joyfoodsunshine
Pin for later! 🙂
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JoyFoodSunshine!