This baked falafel recipe is crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Chickpeas, fresh herbs, garlic onion and spices make this falafel recipe flavorful and delicious. Plus this healthy falafel recipe is naturally gluten-free, vegetarian, and vegan. Serve them stuffed inside a pita or over a salad for a delicious meatless meal.
Happy Meatless Monday! I’ve mentioned before that I’m a veggie-lover living with a family of carnivores…so when I create a vegetarian recipe that fulfills my meat & potatoes-loving hubby…I know it’s worthy to share with all of you!
This recipe for Healthy Baked Falafel is gluten-free and vegan! It’s a recipe that has been years (seriously years) in the making! After countless trials and errors, I’ve finally hit the falafel jackpot! So let’s jump right in with some step-by-step instructions on how to make this recipe!
How to make Baked Falafel
1. Use a Food Processor!
This Vegan Baked Falafel recipe is best when made in the food processor. Start by processing the chunkier ingredients (chickpeas, herbs, & onions).
Then add the rest of the ingredients. To keep these gluten-free ground flaxseed is used as the binding agent. It works beautifully and results in some amazingly delicious little falafels! 😉
2. Grease your pan well!
The next step is super important! To keep your Baked Falafel from sticking to the pan, you need to grease it with olive oil (not nonstick spray).
Simply “glug” about 1 TBS of olive oil onto the pan and use a spatula (or your fingers) to spread it around. This ensures that there is a sufficient amount of oil to crisp the falafel and make it easy to flip halfway through baking.
3. Portion & Bake
Form about 2 TBS portions of falafel mixture into thin patties and place on your greased baking sheet! Bake for about 20 minutes, flip them over & bake for 10 more (or until golden brown). Remove and EAT! 🙂
FAQs about Baked Falafel
Here are some frequently asked questions about making this baked falafel recipe!
Is baked falafel healthy?
Yes! Baking instead of frying reduces the amount of fat and calories in this falafel recipe! With protein and fiber rich chickpeas and loads of fresh herbs, these baked falafels are a great healthy meal!
Can you use canned chickpeas for falafel?
Yes! That is what this falafel recipe calls for and what I use! I don’t have time to cook dried chickpeas, so I always used canned. Just be sure to drain them well!
Baked Falafel: Serving Suggestions
Lots of people also ask, “What do you eat with falafel?” Here are some of my best suggestions!
- I always serve it with this homemade tzatziki sauce, it’s seriously the best combination ever.
- Serve it on top of your favorite salad recipe, like this roasted vegetable quinoa salad or this burrata salad!
- Serve it wrapped in a warm pita!
- Eat it plain!
Healthy Baked Falafel: Substitutions
Like I said above, I tinkered with this recipe for years before I got it to be exactly the way I like it! So there are only a few substitutions I could recommend!
- White onion. Any onion works well in this recipe! I have used red, white, and yellow all with great results!
- Garlic powder. If you are a garlic lover, I recommend substitution fresh minced garlic for the powder.
- Olive oil. Any neutral oil works well! I recommend olive oil or avocado oil!
IF YOU MAKE SOMETHING FROM JOYFOODSUNSHINE I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS! DON’T FORGET TO RATE THIS RECIPE AND LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW! ALSO, FOLLOW ALONG WITH ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE AND TWITTER FOR MORE RECIPE INSPIRATION AND A GLIMPSE INTO OUR EVERYDAY LIFE!
Healthy Vegan Baked Falafel (Gluten-Free)
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- ½ cup white onion finely diced
- 1 cup fresh parsley lightly packed
- 1 cup fresh cilantro lightly packed
- 1/2-1 tsp sea salt (to taste)
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp coriander
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 TBS ground flaxseed
- 1 TBS olive oil for greasing your pan
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add chickpeas, onions, parsley and cilantro to your food processor fitted with an “S” blade. Process until well combined (but still chunky).
- Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, coriander, cumin, baking powder and flaxseed. Process until well mixed and fine. (mixture will ball up in the processor).
- Generously grease a large baking sheet with oil (olive or canola).
- Roll about 2 TBS of falafel mixture into balls and then flatten into discs and place on baking sheet evenly spaced.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, flip and bake on second side for 10-15 minutes (until golden brown)
- Remove from oven and serve with tzatziki sauce, in a pita, or on a salad!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JoyFoodSunshine!