Roasted Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Seeds Recipe! Don't throw away the seeds when you carve pumpkins this year! Save them and make this recipe for the perfect sweet and salty fall snack!
Have you carved your pumpkins yet? We have 6 kids so that always means lots of pumpkin guts! They love helping me separate the seeds from the pulp, just so we can make these Homemade Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Seeds!
I know it's a lot of work, but trust me when I tell you that taking the time to save the seeds to make roasted pumpkin seeds is so worth it!
Especially if you decide to make these Homemade Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Seeds! This recipe only has 6 ingredients, is super easy to make, and results is the perfect sweet and salty fall snack!
How to make Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Seeds
Let the seeds dry completely!
The key to making excellent Homemade Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Seeds is letting them completely dry before roasting! To do this, remove the seeds from the pumpkins and rinse thoroughly. Make sure there are no stringy orange guts left!
Let the seeds drain, and line a large baking sheet with paper towels. Spread the seeds on the baking sheet in one, even layer and let sit for 24 hours. At the 12 hour mark, change the damp paper towels for dry ones and stir every now and then!
Add the ingredients
Coat evenly. Once the seeds are completely dry, you are ready to make these roasted pumpkin seeds! Simply melt the coconut oil or butter in a microwave safe dish. Mix in vanilla and stir in the pumpkin seeds, making sure the seeds are evenly coated with the mixture!
Thoroughly mix the dry ingredients together, then toss them into the bowl of coated pumpkin seeds, once again making sure they are evenly coated!
Then, spread the coated seeds out on a large baking sheet in a single layer and bake.
Do not over bake!
A little helpful tip, be very careful not to over-bake these Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Seeds! When they start to brown ever-so-slightly they are done.
Test for doneness
by taking out 3 or 4 seeds and letting them come to room temperature. If the roasted pumpkin seeds become nice and crispy then your seeds are done baking! If they remain soft, toss them back on the pan and bake a touch longer!
Helpful Tip (How to re-crisp roasted pumpkin seeds)
If your seeds become soft after a day or two...simply reheat them at 250 in the oven for 5-10 minutes! When you remove them and they cool completely they will perfectly crisp up like they were freshly made that day!
Store these pumpkin seeds in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Cinnamon Sugar Roasted Pumpkin Seeds: Substitutions
This recipe is delicious as-is! But If you are looking to make some substitutions here are a few that have passed the test:
- Coconut oil: Butter and vegan butter (like Earth Balance) are delicious substitutions for the coconut oil.
- Granulated sugar: I use raw, organic sugar in this recipe. But you can choose your favorite granulated sugar and use it with great results! You can also use coconut sugar for a paleo version.
That's it! There are only 6 ingredients in this recipe for Homemade Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Seeds and I don't recommend substituting any other ingredients!
FAQs about roasting pumpkin seeds
Yes! They are a high-protein, high-fiber snack!
Yes, drying the pumpkin seeds is imperative for crispy roasted pumpkin seeds that do not get soggy.
More pumpkin recipes:
If you're looking for ways to use the inside of the pumpkin (after you've made homemade pumpkin puree) here are some of our favorites:
- The BEST classic homemade pumpkin pie (or this dairy-free pumpkin pie)!
- Baked Pumpkin Donuts
- For a cozy breakfast, make this pumpkin baked oatmeal!
- Try our recipe for the best pumpkin bread ever!
- This pumpkin smoothie tastes like a liquid pumpkin pie but it's so much healthier and only takes 5 minutes to make!
- This literally the best pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting I've ever had - ever.
If you make and love our recipes, it would mean so much to me if you would leave a comment and rating! And don't forget to follow along with us on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, and Youtube - be sure to tag @joyfoodsunshine and use the hashtag #joyfoodsunshine so we can your creations!
Roasted Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Seeds
To dry pumpkin seeds:
- Remove from pumpkins and rinse thoroughly. Spread out in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with paper towels. Let sit at room temperature for 24 hours, changing the damp paper towels out for dry ones after about 12 hours and stirring occasionally.
To make the pumpkin seeds:
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Very lightly grease a large baking pan, set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- Melt coconut oil or butter in a large microwave safe bowl or on the stovetop in a 4-quart pot.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Mix in pumpkin seeds until they are all evenly coated.
- Add dry ingredients to the pumpkin seeds and mix until all they are evenly coated.
- Spread pumpkin seeds on your prepared baking pan in single layer.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until seeds begin to brown.
- To test for doneness: remove a few seeds from the pan and let sit on the counter to cool. If they harden up the seeds are done. If they remain soft, return to the oven, checking them after 5 minutes. Continue baking in 5 minute intervals until done.
- Once seeds are done, transfer them from the warm pan to another pan lined with parchment paper to let cool.
Ingredient substitutionsThis recipe is delicious as-is! But If you are looking to make some substitutions here are a few that have passed the test:
- Coconut oil: Butter and vegan butter (like Earth Balance) are delicious substitutions for the coconut oil!
- Granulated sugar: I use raw, organic sugar in this recipe. But you can choose your favorite granulated sugar and use it with great results! You can also use coconut sugar for a paleo version!
StoreStore these pumpkin seeds in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JoyFoodSunshine!