Crockpot Chicken Tacos are an easy and delicious dinner that only takes 5 minutes to prepare! Mexican shredded chicken is delicious served in tortillas, over rice or on top of a salad, and is a great way to meal prep chicken for the week!
I never, ever have trouble getting my kids to eat dinner when tacos are on the menu! These slow cooker chicken tacos are a healthy recipe that is easy to prepare, and can be served many different ways.
Seriously, this Mexican shredded chicken only takes 5 minutes to prepare. It’s delicious served in tortillas, over rice or on top of a salad! Plus, it’s a great meal-prep recipe that can be made once and enjoyed all week long. And it’s gluten-free, dairy-free and Paleo!
Crockpot Chicken Tacos: Ingredients & Substitutions
Here are a few notes about the ingredients in this crockpot Mexican chicken recipe, as well as possible substitutions:
- Salsa. One of the wonderful aspects of this recipe is that you can use your favorite salsa (or make your own homemade salsa) and really set flavor profile for the dish. I opt for a mild variety because I’m a spice wimp, but you can choose the heat, flavor, etc.
- Lime Juice. I never make chicken tacos without a splash of lime juice, it adds such a great flavor.
- Spices. I created a spice blend that is perfect for our family’s tastes (i.e. not to spicy). Feel free to play with the heat if you want and add more chili powder, a dash of cayenne, or even some hot sauce. You can also substitute all the spices and use 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning instead. I just love making this with our own spice blend.
How to Make Crockpot Chicken Tacos
I love these slow cooker chicken tacos because all the work is done in the pan of your slow cooker – which means minimal dirty dishes. This Mexican shredded chicken is easy to make, but as always we will walk through the process step-by-step, and don’t forget to watch the video!
Combine ingredients in the Crockpot
In the container of a slow cooker, add salsa, lime juice and seasonings. Stir to combine.
Add chicken breasts and stir to ensure they are covered with the salsa mixture. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours, until the chicken is tender and easily shredded.
Is it OK to put raw chicken in slow cooker?
Yes! As the chicken cooks it will reach a temperature above 160 degrees F, which ensures it is safe to eat.
Can you put frozen chicken in the crockpot?
Another yes. You can place frozen chicken in a crockpot, but I suggest doing so only if you will be cooking it on low heat for a longer period of time. If chicken changes temperature too quickly it can become rubbery. To avoid this, cook frozen chicken breasts slowly on the low setting.
Shred the slow cooker chicken tacos with two forks in the slow cooker and stir it into the salsa mixture. Some people prefer to transfer the chicken to the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment to shred it by turning it on to medium speed for 15-30 seconds. This works well too!
Cook with the lid ajar
Cook for an additional 1 hour with the lid slightly ajar. This allows some of the moisture to escape so you do not have runny chicken tacos!
Serve the crockpot Mexican shredded chicken as chicken tacos, wrapped up in tortillas with your choice of toppings and sides. Here are some of our favorite Mexican dishes:
- I make this easy homemade guacamole on repeat. Taco night isn’t complete without it.
- This blender salsa takes 5 minutes to prepare!
- Skip the can and make your own homemade refried black beans, they only take 10 minutes to prepare!
- I always make this sweet potato and black bean taco filling to go with our chicken tacos for extra veggies!
- Use this Mexican chicken instead of beef on this Nachos Recipe!
Store the crockpot Mexican Chicken
To store, simply put the chicken tacos it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 2 months. If freezing, I recommend portioning it out into the amount you would eat in one sitting or meal.
IF YOU MAKE SOMETHING FROM JOYFOODSUNSHINE I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS! DON’T FORGET TO RATE THIS RECIPE AND LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW! ALSO, FOLLOW ALONG WITH ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE AND TWITTER FOR MORE RECIPE INSPIRATION AND A GLIMPSE INTO OUR EVERYDAY LIFE!
Crockpot Chicken Tacos (Mexican Chicken)
- In the container of a slow cooker, add salsa, lime juice and seasonings. Stir to combine.
- Add chicken breasts and stir to ensure they are covered with the salsa mixture.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours, until the chicken is tender and easily shredded.
- Shred chicken with two forks in the slow cooker and stir it into the salsa mixture.
- Cook for an additional 1 hour with the lid slightly ajar (to let moisture escape).
- Serve in tortillas with your favorite taco toppings!
Photos in this recipe were taken by the talented Jamie from Dishing Out Health
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JoyFoodSunshine!