Today I have a healthier mac and cheese recipe for you! This Healthy Greek Yogurt Mac & Cheese is loaded with protein, gluten-free (but can be made gluten-full too), and tastes absolutely amazing. My daughter enjoys this recipe more than the beloved boxed variety…which is saying a lot because that girl loves her mac ‘n cheese! 😉
This Healthy Greek Yogurt Mac & Cheese is made more nutritious by using Greek yogurt in place of most of the butter! The richness and flavor of the yogurt also means we can use 2% milk instead of whole milk or cream without losing any of the creamy, comforting, cheesy goodness.
I have some step-by step photos for you to show how to make this Healthy Greek Yogurt Mac & Cheese in action! Start by making the cheese sauce from butter (only 2 TBS!), tapioca flour, milk and yogurt. Then add more yogurt, cheese and some other deliciousness to finish it off. I have made this dish using tapioca flour for a gluten-free option, but you may use regular all-purpose flour if you don’t eat a strictly gluten-free diet!
Even though my family doesn’t follow a specific diet, I love taking recipes we always eat and making them gluten-free. That way, when friends or family who have dietary restrictions come over for dinner, I already have a repertoire of recipes I can choose from without having to create something new at the last minute!
Once the sauce is finished, add it to the already cooked macaroni. Choose your favorite variety that complies with your lifestyle! I love these Ancient Harvest Quinoa Pasta Elbows for a gluten-free option. It’s one of my favorite gluten-free pasta varieties because it uses quinoa which increases the protein content of the dish! You can also use regular-old macaroni! 🙂 You technically could stop at this step and serve it stove-top style…
…but I’m all about the crispy, cheesy, flavorful top layer that is created when this Healthy Greek Yogurt Mac & Cheese is baked! Spread the noodles & cheese mixture in a 9″ baking pan and sprinkle the top with parmesan cheese, almond meal, garlic salt and pepper. Then pop it in the oven for 20-30 minutes until it’s golden brown and bubbly…
…and presto. You have a delicious baked mac ‘n cheese that is healthy and kid-approved!
- 8 ounces (1 ½ cups) dry elbow macaroni (gluten-free variety)!*
- 2 TBS butter
- 2 TBS tapioca flour*
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt**
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 TBS Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup almond meal/flour
- garlic salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9” baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Cook noodles according to package instructions. Rinse and set aside.
- Mix together tapioca flour, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large pot melt 2 TBS butter. Add tapioca flour, salt, pepper and onion powder and cook about 2 minutes or until mixture turns slightly brown
- Whisk in milk. Add ½ cup yogurt and cook on medium heat until mixture is thick.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheddar cheese and remaining 1/4 cup yogurt. Mix until melted and combined.
- Mix noodles and cheese sauce together.
- Pour mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with almond meal, 2 TBS Parmesan cheese, garlic salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 30 – 35 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and top has browned.
*If you are not gluten-free you can use regular macaroni and regular all-purpose flour! I have done this with perfect results!
**My favorite Greek yogurt to use is Greek Gods plain, non-fat yogurt! I love that it only has THREE (3!!) ingredients and it tastes amazing!
This Healthy Greek Yogurt Mac & Cheese is on my daughter’s list of top five favorite dinners. She very specifically requests “the mac & cheese with the stuff on top that you make, not the box.” LOL! Since it has so much protein in it I feel great about serving this as a meatless option for dinner. My
biggest kid husband loves hot dogs (yuck) with his mac and cheese…but I love him…so every now and then I indulge the fact that he eats like a 10 year old boy. (sigh).
Have a great week! Happy Monday!
If you make something from JoyFoodSunshine I would love to see your creations! #joyfoodsunshine
Pin Me for later! 🙂
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JoyFoodSunshine!