This cinnamon roasted sweet potatoes recipe is an easy & healthy side dish made with 5 ingredients.
These cinnamon roasted sweet potatoes are one of my favorite sweet potato recipes! They have all the flavors of everyone's favorite sweet potato casserole, but none of the mushy texture!
The sweet potato cubes are tossed with butter (or coconut oil), cinnamon, sea salt and maple syrup and roasted to crispy perfection.
They're easy to make with only 5 ingredients, and are a delicious side dish for the holidays, or any day!
How to Make Roasted Sweet Potatoes:
These crispy roasted sweet potatoes are SO easy to make. It might seem like there are a lot of steps but really it's all super straightforward!
Crisp the sweet potatoes. Roast the sweet potatoes with 2 TBS of coconut oil until they just start become golden-brown (about 15-20 minutes). If you add the maple syrup in the beginning it will burn before the potatoes are fully cooked!
Add the syrup. Once the sweet potatoes are crisped, add the remaining 1 TBS of coconut oil, maple syrup and cinnamon and stir until everything is evenly distributed. Then bake until the syrup forms and nice coating on the potatoes and they are golden brown! Then serve immediately to enjoy the maximum crispy goodness!
Note: Use room temperature ingredients.
Butter is a solid at room temperature, which means that if the melted coconut oil comes into contact with a cold piece of sweet potato, it will solidify almost instantly. This will result in an uneven distribution of ingredients.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave - or in the oven to restore crispiness.
FAQS about Cinnamon Maple Roasted Sweet Potatoes
There are a few key elements in making baked sweet potato cubes crispy:
oast with only oil and salt first. Like I mentioned earlier, it's important to roast sweet potatoes with only oil and salt before adding any other ingredients. You don't want to compromise bake time by introducing a wet ingredient (like in these peanut butter sweet potato fries) before it's time.
Flip and stir during baking. In order to ensure that all sides of your roasted sweet potatoes are browned, it's crucial that you stir/flip them during roasting. Sometimes I even use tongs to individually flip sweet potato cubes to ensure I didn't miss any!
Cut the sweet potatoes in small, thin pieces. The more surface area of the baked sweet potato cubes that are exposed to the surface of the baking sheet, the higher the ratio of browned, crispy outside to soft inside will be. Plus, smaller pieces decreases baking time!
You can peel them, but you do not have to (I prefer not to). The skin contains many nutrients and adds a texture and flavor to roasted sweet potatoes! When I make these for babies/toddlers I do peel them so they can chew them without choking.
Yes. Here are some health benefits of sweet potatoes:
High in nutrients such as Vitamins A, C & B, manganese and potassium - which helps regulate blood pressure/
Sweet potatoes are high in antioxidants and have amazing anti-inflammatory properties.
They are high in fiber, which means they do not cause blood sugar spikes, like regular potatoes do.
Help boost fertility. I ate so many sweet potatoes and yams when I was trying to conceive to help my body be as healthy as it could be.
Cinnamon Roasted Sweet Potatoes: Ingredients & Substitutions
This roasted sweet potato cubes recipe only has 5 ingredients and tastes amazing as-is. But here are a few notes about the ingredients and possible substitutions:
- Sweet potatoes. You can use yams, white sweet potatoes or purple sweet potatoes.
- Salted butter. Use unsalted butter, coconut oil, olive oil, ghee and avocado oil can all be in place of salted butter. However, please be mindful of the way the taste/texture of the oil will change the overall taste of the dish.
- Maple syrup. Use pure maple syrup (no artificial substitutes), or honey.
If you make something from JoyFoodSunshine I would love to see your creations. Follow along with me on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter and Youtube. Tag me in your photos #joyfoodsunshine @joyfoodsunshine Don't forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment below.
Cinnamon Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Grease a large baking pan, set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss cubed sweet potatoes with 2 TBS of melted butter. Stir until coated.
- Add sea salt and stir until evenly distributed.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 min.
- Stir and bake 10 more minutes or until some of the sweet potatoes are just starting to brown.
- Remove from oven and drizzle with remaining 1 TBS butter and 2 TBS maple syrup. Stir until the sweet potatoes are evenly coated.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and stir until it’s evenly distributed.
- Return to oven and bake 10-20 minutes longer or until potatoes are browned, stirring halfway
- Serve immediately!
- Sweet potatoes. Any variety of sweet potato works well in this recipe, classic orange is pictured here, but both purple and white sweet potatoes can be used! Yams are also a totally delicious substitution for sweet potatoes!
- Salted butter. unsalted butter, coconut oil, olive oil, ghee and avocado oil can all be used in place of coconut oil. However, please be mindful of the way the taste/texture of the oil will change the overall taste of the dish.
- Maple syrup. Use pure maple syrup (no artificial substitutes). Honey can also be used, however the maple syrup adds such a rich fall flavor that I don't recommend switching it out.
StoreStore leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave - or in the oven to restore crispiness.
More sweet potato recipes
- For a more traditional Thanksgiving sweet potato dish, try this Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole, or try this classic sweet potato casserole.
- You will love this sweet potato soup.
- Roasted sweet potatoes and apples is another delicious side dish!
- This sausage kale soup with sweet potatoes will keep you warm all winter long!
- These sweet potato veggie burgers are one of my favorite make-ahead meals!
- Honey Lime Sweet Potato Tacos are a delicious vegetarian option for taco Tuesday!
- Looking for something sweet? This Healthy Sweet Potato Bread is a delicious way to use leftover mashed sweet potatoes as well!
- This sweet potato breakfast hash is delicious!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JoyFoodSunshine!