This Chocolate Peanut Butter No-Bake Cookies recipe is easy and delicious ! They're made on the stovetop in 5 minutes with 8 ingredients and they are gluten-free! They make a great after school treat or addition to your holiday cookie tray!
If you had a feeling I would share my recipe for these classic no bake cookies sooner or later, then you know me too well! These are the best no bake cookies ever.
My healthy no bake cookies are wildly popular (and for good reason - they're amazing), but one bite of this classic version transports me to to my childhood and nostalgic cookie nirvana.
This no bake cookie recipe only takes 5 minutes to make, and then you just have to let them set (the agony). They are a great summer treat since they don't require the use of a hot oven. But they also transcend the seasons, and make a great addition to any Christmas cookie tray (like these cut-out sugar cookies, gingerbread cookies, peanut butter blossoms, etc.)
No-Bake Cookies: Ingredients & Substitutions
- Granulated sugar. White sugar or organic cane sugar both work well in this recipe. I do not bake with sugar substitutions so I cannot advise in that department.
- Cocoa Powder. Be sure to use unsweetened cocoa powder. Dark cocoa powder can be used to make dark chocolate chocolate no bake cookies!
- Salted Butter. Unsalted butter can be used in place of salted butter. Also vegan butter and ghee.
- Whole milk. 2% milk or half and half can be used in place of whole milk.
- Peanut Butter. If you have a peanut allergy in your home, any nut or seed butter should work well in this no bake cookie recipe.
- Quick-cooking oatmeal. If you only have old-fashioned oats on hand, simply put them in a blender or food processor and pulse once or twice. This will give them the texture of quick-cooking oats.
- Saucepan (4 quarts)
- Cookie sheet
- Wax paper
- Small cookie scoop or 1 TBS measuring spoon
- Measuring cups & measuring spoons
- Kitchen timer (or watch timer)
How to make no bake cookies
This no bake cookie recipe only takes 5 minutes to make. This is a fast-paced recipe and it's important to lay our all the equipment and ingredients you'll need before starting.
Lay out equipment & ingredients
Start by lining a large baking sheet with wax paper, and set it aside. Then find a small cookie scoop or 1 TBS measuring spoon to use to portion out the cookies.
In a medium saucepan, over medium heat combine butter, milk, sugar and cocoa powder. Whisk continuously to combine until the butter is melted. Bring mixture to a boil and boil for 1 minute. You will need
After 1 minute, turn off the heat but leave the pan on the warm burner. Add peanut butter and vanilla and whisk to combine until the peanut butter is melted.
Add quick-cooking oatmeal and sea salt. Stir until combined. You need to work quickly during this step because the mixture begins to harden as it cools.
Measure & form cookies
Use a small cookie scoop or 1 TBS measuring spoon to scoop the no bake cookies onto prepared baking sheet.
Cool & Harden
Let the no bake oatmeal cookies sit at room temperature for 30-60 minutes, or until hardened. You can put them in the refrigerator to hasten the hardening process.
Serve these chocolate peanut butter no bake cookies with a tall glass of milk as an afternoon snack or holiday treat! Everyone will love them!
Store these no bake cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Freeze in an airtight container for up to 2 months. Transfer them to the refrigerator or the counter at room temperature to thaw slowly. Do not warm in the oven or microwave.
FAQs about this No Bake Cookie Recipe
Why did my no bake cookies not set up?
The main reason no bake cookies don't set up is not boiling the mixture long enough. Be sure to wait until the mixture is boiling, then set the timer for 1 minute!
How do you fix no bake cookies that won't harden?
If you wind up with gooey no bake cookies, simply store them in the refrigerator or freezer and eat them cold. As I tested this recipe this happened many times, my kids still gobbled up the chilled cookies, no problem. They taste like fudge! Then remember to boil the mixture longer next time.
How long will no bake cookies stay fresh?
These chocolate peanut butter no bake cookies stay fresh for up to 5 days at room temperature.
IF YOU MAKE SOMETHING FROM JOYFOODSUNSHINE I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS! DON’T FORGET TO RATE THIS RECIPE AND LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW! ALSO, FOLLOW ALONG WITH ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE AND TWITTER FOR MORE RECIPE INSPIRATION AND A GLIMPSE INTO OUR EVERYDAY LIFE!
No Bake Cookies
- Line a large baking sheet with wax paper. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat combine butter, milk, sugar and cocoa powder. Whisk continuously to combine until the butter is melted.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Boil mixture for 1 minute (set a timer).
- After 1 minute, remove pan from heat.
- Add peanut butter and vanilla and whisk to combine until the peanut butter is melted.
- Add quick-cooking oatmeal and sea salt. Stir until combined.
- Use a cookie scoop or 1 TBS measuring spoon to scoop cookies onto prepared baking sheet.
- Let sit at room temperature for 30-60 minutes, or until hardened.
If you love this recipe, try these
As you know, we take our desserts seriously around here. If you love this almond toffee recipe, here are some others I recommend trying!
- Bars: Bars are so much easier to make than cookies (in my opinion) because it's a spread and bake situation. We love these chocolate peanut butter bars, chocolate chip cookie bars, and these chocolate peanut butter oatmeal bars.
- Cookies: Some of our favorite cookies include, these double chocolate cookies, the best chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal cookies, and these peanut butter cookies.
- Check out our roundup of all of our favorite Christmas Cookie Recipes!
- Cake: Everyone needs classic cake recipes in their repertoire. This is the best chocolate cake recipe you'll ever eat (ever), plus try this banana cake, pumpkin cake, and I can't forget my favorite - flourless chocolate cake.
- Brownies. I have so many brownie recipes on my site because they're my favorite dessert. The best homemade brownies, peppermint brownies, black bean brownies, flourless brownies, fudgy paleo brownies, etc. each one delicious!
- Try this puppy chow (the best ever) or this Reindeer Food (Christmas Puppy Chow) for a delicious & festive treat.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JoyFoodSunshine!