This homemade Peppermint Hot Chocolate recipe is made with 6 ingredients in 6 minutes in the Vitamix blender! It has two kinds of chocolate so it’s ultra-rich and creamy and it’s flavored with candy canes instead of expensive extracts. Watch the video to learn how to make homemade candy cane hot chocolate!
This post is sponsored by my friends at Vitamix. As always, all opinons, photos, videos and recipes are my own!
Today we’re going to be making a festive treat that will keep you warm this holiday season – homemade candy cane hot chocolate! Kiss powdered mixes and packets goodbye, with this ultra-rich and creamy candy cane hot chocolate, that’s SO easy to make in the Vitamix Blender!
This is not your average peppermint hot chocolate, because we use the Vitamix to blend real candy canes into the cocoa base, which is made with two forms of chocolate! You don’t need expensive extracts, just a a few of your favorite candy canes (plus a handful of other ingredients), which we all have an abundance of this time of year.
It only takes 6 minutes and 6 ingredients to blend up this warm candy cane hot chocolate, which means it’s the perfect treat to make after a day playing outside in the snow!
Peppermint Hot Chocolate: Ingredients & Substitutions
As always, let’s start by discussing the ingredients in this peppermint hot chocolate recipe, as well as possible substitutions.
- Whole milk. Any milk, dairy or non-dairy, should work very well in this candy cane hot chocolate recipe. Just remember, the higher the percentage of fat in your milk, the creamier your final product will be. My highest recommendations are whole or 2% milk, and coconut milk for a dairy-free/vegan version.
- Cocoa Powder. Use pure, unsweetened cocoa powder (NOT hot chocolate mix) to make this peppermint hot chocolate!
- Granulated sugar. Any granulated sugar works well in this recipe. I use organic cane sugar in most of my baking and dessert making. For a refined-sugar free variety, substitute coconut sugar for granulated sugar.
- Chocolate. I recommend using semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate in this peppermint hot chocolate recipe. You can use milk chocolate or white chocolate, just be aware that the end result will be a touch sweeter! For a dairy-free/vegan version, use dairy-free chocolate! You can also use bakers chocolate (100% cocoa) and just increase the amount of sugar to suit your tastes!
- Vanilla Extract. Use pure vanilla extract for the best flavor.
- Candy Canes. Choose your favorite candy canes to use in this peppermint hot chocolate. I use Wholesome organic candy canes and Yum Earth Organic Candy Canes because both of these varieties have no food dyes or corn syrup! If you’d prefer, you can use ½ tsp peppermint extract instead of the candy canes. Or add it along with the candy canes for a more pronounced peppermint flavor. However I think that using whole candy canes is one thing that makes this peppermint hot chocolate so special.
How to make Peppermint Hot Chocolate
This homemade candy cane hot chocolate is so easy to make and SO much better than any powdered mix you can buy at the store! Let’s walk through how to make it step-by-step!
Use a Vitamix Blender
To achieve the creamiest peppermint hot chocolate ever, as always, I recommend using a Vitamix Blender! In this recipe the Vitamix does all the work for you! It melts the chocolate, pulverizes the candy canes and heats up the gourmet hot chocolate so you can serve it straight from the blending container (no stovetop cooking required). It’s SO easy to make hot chocolate in the Vitamix!
If you are looking to buy a Vitamix, check out my in-depth Vitamix buying guide and learn why I chose to blend with Vitamix 10 years ago and never looked back!
Add milk, cocoa powder & sugar and Blend
Start by adding milk to the container of your Vitamix blender, followed by cocoa powder and sugar.
Secure the lid and blend, starting on low speed and increasing to high. Blend on high speed for 3 minutes, or until the mixture is warm.
Add chocolate, vanilla & candy canes and Blend again
Next, add the chocolate chips (or chopped chocolate), pure vanilla extract and candy canes to the warm mixture in the blending container.
Secure the lid and blend, starting on low speed and increasing to high. Blend on high speed for 3 minutes or until the mixture is hot and steamy.
Remove the lid, pour the peppermint hot chocolate into your favorite mugs, top with marshmallows or whipped cream and some crushed candy canes and enjoy!
Note: since the Vitamix is so powerful you will have some foam in your final product! Simply stir the foam into the hot chocolate to make it disappear, or enjoy it as part of the candy cane hot chocolate experience!
What are good toppings for hot chocolate?
This peppermint hot chocolate tastes amazing on its own. But if you’re looking to jazz it up with some fun toppings, here are some suggestions:
- Whipped Cream (obviously)
- Marshmallows (any variety, peppermint marshmallows would be delicious).
- Crushed candy canes
- Chopped peppermint bark
- Shaved chocolate
- Holiday sprinkles
Make Good This Holiday Season
This holiday season, the Vitamix slogan is “Make Good.” I love this concept, especially during the holidays, when we all sing about peace on Earth and good will to mankind. I struggle to try to teach my kids to be selfless during a time when there is so much focus on selfishness (think: toy catalogues, Christmas lists, etc.).
My challenge to you is to “make good” with this Peppermint Hot Chocolate. Make two batches, one for you and one for a neighbor. Deliver it in a cute thermos to a friend in need of some holiday cheer.
Or better yet, make some and share it with your family. Slip into your Christmas jammies and enjoy a warm cup of candy cane hot cocoa by the fire while you listen to Christmas music or watch a Christmas movie and make good memories they will cherish for the rest of their lives!
IF YOU MAKE SOMETHING FROM JOYFOODSUNSHINE I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS! DON’T FORGET TO RATE THIS RECIPE AND LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW! ALSO, FOLLOW ALONG WITH ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE AND TWITTER FOR MORE RECIPE INSPIRATION AND A GLIMPSE INTO OUR EVERYDAY LIFE!
Peppermint Hot Chocolate (Candy Cane Hot Chocolate)
- Add milk, sugar and cocoa powder to the container of a Vitamix blender.
- Blend, starting on low speed and increasing to high. Blend on high speed for 3 minutes, or until the mixture is smooth and warm.
- Add chocolate, vanilla and candy cane pieces and blend for 3 minutes until mixture is smooth and hot.
- Pour into mugs, top with whipped cream, marshmallows and crushed candy cane pieces and serve!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JoyFoodSunshine! 261