This Healthy Greek Yogurt Avocado Chicken Salad recipe has no mayo and is packed full of nutritious ingredients! It takes 5 minutes of active prep and is a great way to use leftover chicken!
It finally feels like spring! Which, because I live in Utah, means that summer weather will likely set in in about, hmmm…one week!
Seriously, spring does not last very long here, but we enjoy every moment of it! Just yesterday we were walking outside and the smell of flowers from the budding trees overcame my senses and gladdened my heart!
With the change of the seasons also comes a change in the foods we crave! Light, fast, and fresh meals seem to be our norm in the warmer months, like this Avocado Chicken Salad! This recipe comes together in mere minutes, is packed full of nutritious ingredients and is the perfect dish to pack for a picnic in the park! It is an all-time favorite savory recipe of mine. Whenever I make it I have a hard time letting it chill without sneaking bites from the fridge!
How to make Avocado Chicken Salad (No Mayo)
This recipe is a breeze to make, especially if you have leftover rotisserie chicken (or cooked chicken of any kind)! It only takes 5 minutes of active prep (and then 30 minutes of chilling in the fridge)! Here are a few tips to ensure your chicken-salad-making success!
1. Cooking/choosing the Chicken.
I recommend using cold, leftover, chicken to make this recipe. But if you don’t have any on hand you can simply boil 2 pounds of chicken breasts in chicken broth (with your favorite spices/seasonings) until fork-tender (see full directions in the recipe below). If you do this you must let the chicken cool before mixing it into the rest of the ingredients! So plan accordingly if you need to cook the chicken first!
Be sure to mash the avocado first, and then add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl! It’s important to mix all the wet & dry ingredients thoroughly before adding the chicken so that they are evenly distributed!
3. How to store chicken salad.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator! Since there is avocado in this recipe it will likely turn brown if it’s not all consumed the day it’s made. The greek yogurt & lime juice help preserve it’s color, but be forewarned that while it will still taste amazing, it might become an off-putting color by day 2!
Avocado Chicken Salad (No Mayo): Substitutions
There are a few ways you can tweak this recipe to make it your own! Here are a few that I have personally tested!
- Plain Greek Yogurt: All plain Greek yogurt varieties work excellently in this recipe, regardless of fat content! Obviously, a higher fat content will yield a richer, creamier chicken salad!
- Dill. Both fresh & dried dill are fabulous in this recipe. I always keep this Litehouse freeze-dried dill on hand so that I can make this Avocado Chicken Salad (No Mayo) in the winter when fresh dill is harder to come by, (oh and this tzatziki sauce too)!
- Onion powder. For a little extra crunch and flavor you can substitute 1-2 TBS of real onion for the onion powder. I cook for kids, so I opt for the powder instead! 😉
- Garlic powder. Same thing goes here, feel free to use fresh minced garlic instead of powder!
IF YOU MAKE SOMETHING FROM JOYFOODSUNSHINE I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS! DON’T FORGET TO RATE THIS RECIPE AND LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW! ALSO, FOLLOW ALONG WITH ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE AND TWITTER FOR MORE RECIPE INSPIRATION AND A GLIMPSE INTO OUR EVERYDAY LIFE!
Healthy Greek Yogurt Avocado Chicken Salad (no mayo)!
- In a large mixing bowl, mash avocado.
- Add Greek yogurt and stir until combined.
- Add dill, onion powder, garlic powder, lime juice salt, and pepper and stir until combined.
- Add chicken to avocado mixture and stir until all the ingredients are combined.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least 30-60 minutes for flavors to blend together.
- Serve on a sandwich, in a wrap or over salad greens for a tasty lunch or dinner!
- Put chicken breasts in a medium pot and cover with water or chicken broth by 2".
- Add spices of your choice (garlic powder salt, pepper, onion powder, herbs, etc.) and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 20-30 minutes or until chicken can be easily shredded with a fork.
- Remove chicken from water and shred.
- Chill shredded chicken in the refrigerator until cool (at least 1 hour).
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JoyFoodSunshine!