The BEST Homemade Pretzel Bread recipe ever. Seriously, once you make this you will never be able to eat store-bought pretzel bread again! It’s dense, soft, chewy, buttery, salty and oh-so-delicious.
This Homemade Pretzel Bread is THE best bread you will ever eat in your life. I am totally not exaggerating either. It is one of my most requested creations and literally everyone who tries it asks for the recipe. It’s dense, soft, chewy, buttery, salty and oh-so-delicious.
I know making homemade bread can seem intimidating…but don’t you worry! We’ve created a video that shows you how to make this homemade pretzel bread step-by-step! And if there’s a recipe that’s worth conquering your kitchen fears for, this is definitely it.
Ritch absolutely adores this bread, and since it’s one of his favorite recipes of all time I thought I’d let him share his thoughts about it with you….
How to Make Homemade Pretzel Bread
- The first is to simply toss all the ingredients in a bread machine and set it to the “dough cycle.” Even the most sheepish bread-makers can do that, right?! 😉
- The other method involves mixing and kneading the dough using a standing mixer or your hands!
I like to do the latter because I can be sure every step of the process is going exactly the way it should be! However, I have used my bread machine with the same delicious results!
1. The pretzel bread dough only has to rise one time.
If you are familiar to the process of making homemade bread, you will notice that there is one unique step to the dough-making process for this recipe.
2. Baking soda bath.
How is a pretzel different from bread?
3. Bake immediately.
4. Brush with melted butter.
Homemade Pretzel Bread: Substitutions
As always I recommend making this recipe exactly as written, however here are a few possible substitutions!
- Milk. 2% milk can be used in place of whole! I do this often with great results! Half & half or cream also work well!
- All-purpose flour. Bread flour is the only other flour I have used to make this recipe and it produces an incredibly delicious final product!
That’s it! I really don’t recommend tampering with this recipe any more! 🙂
IF YOU MAKE SOMETHING FROM JOYFOODSUNSHINE I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS! DON’T FORGET TO RATE THIS RECIPE AND LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW! ALSO, FOLLOW ALONG WITH ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND TWITTER FOR MORE RECIPE INSPIRATION AND A GLIMPSE INTO OUR EVERYDAY LIFE!
Homemade Pretzel Bread
The BEST Homemade Pretzel Bread recipe ever. Seriously, once you make this you will never be able to eat store-bought pretzel bread again! It's dense, soft, chewy, buttery, salty and oh-so-delicious. We've included a video with step-by-step instructions!
- Combine yeast, water, and brown sugar in the bowl of your standing mixer fitted with the dough hook. Let stand for 5 minutes (until foamy).
- While yeast is proofing…melt butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Mix in milk and set aside.
- Once yeast is proofed, add milk/butter to yeast mixture and mix on low speed with dough hook until just combined.
- Add salt and flour and mix with dough hook until flour is fully incorporated.
- Knead in your mixer until the dough forms a slightly tacky, but firm ball, you may need to add a little more flour 1 TBS at a time, but be careful, you want your dough a little tacky but not too sticky to handle.
- Oil a large bowl, place the dough ball in the bowl, and cover with a damp towel in a warm place to let rise for one hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and bring the 4 quarts of water to a boil. When the water is boiling, slowly add the baking soda (Be careful or you will have a baking soda/water explosion)!
- Remove the dough from the bowl and gently press out the air bubbles.
- Make two balls of dough the same size (NOTE: The total weight of the dough comes out to be about 800 g, so each loaf should weigh about 400 g), forming them into the shape you want (Do not let it rise at all here! Straight from forming the ball into the water). Drop one of the balls into the boiling baking soda water. Boil for 60-90 seconds on each side, turning it once to guarantee both sides covered. Drain the excess water from the dough and place it on an oiled baking sheet.
- Immediately sprinkle coarse sea salt over the bread to your specific tastes, and use a knife to cut a small incision on the top of the bread so the dough has somewhere to expand.
- Repeat with second ball of dough. (Do not let it rise at all here! Straight from boiling into the oven).
- Cook the bread for 22-25 minutes, rotating the baking sheet once.
- Once removed from the oven, immediately brush the melted butter over the loaves to guarantee a soft crust.
- *You can reheat it on a low temp covered in foil if you decide to make it a bit ahead of time. I cover it with a tea towel or something if I’m not going to serve it right away.
If you have a bread maker…just add all ingredients to the pan in the order listed and set it to dough cycle, then proceed to Step 8! You can reheat the bread on a low temp covered in foil if you decide to make it a bit ahead of time. I cover it with a tea towel or something if I’m not going to serve it right away.
**Nutrition information calculated based on this recipe serving 12 people.
*This post was originally published on July 14, 2016! The photos and text have been updated & a video has been added, but the recipe remains the same!*
Once you try this homemade pretzel bread you will not be able to really enjoy any other store-bought or restaurant-made varieties again. #sorrynotsorry
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JoyFoodSunshine!