I hope you had a wonderful weekend! We had a blast hiking, playing in the pool, and spending time with some amazing friends. My heart is full and my soul is rested! Now it’s time to jump back into another week with these Baked Zucchini Corn Fritters! These fritters, served with a giant salad, make an amazing meal for all you Meatless Monday fans! They are easy, healthy and packed full of summer produce!
I’ve tried my hand at many different corn fritter recipes thanks to good old White Fence Farm! If you grew up in the Chicagoland area (and apparently Denver too), then you know what I’m talking about. Their corn fritters (or Hush Puppies as we always called them) are to.die.for. They are balls of fried dough with bits of sweet corn dispersed throughout and covered in powdered sugar. My husband says, they’re basically donuts with corn inside. Yep. Seriously. They are so delicious!
However, those of us who care even a little bit about fueling our bodies well, know that these delicacies are not health food! But The Farm was totally onto something, so I decided to make my own, lightened-up and veggied-up version that is baked and not fried! Yay!
Another side note: I am terrible at frying food! I have tried so many times and always wind up with an end product that is completely inedible! I am not sure exactly why, but I am definitely not going to be crowned the reigning food-frying queen any time soon…which is why I am happy to report that these fritters are baked and not fried! You need to generously grease your baking pan with olive oil to prevent sticking, but I’ll take a mere 1 TBS over a vat full of hot oil any day!
These Baked Zucchini Corn Fritters are so simple! They are easily made gluten-free by substituting the flour for your favorite gluten-free, all-purpose baking flour! They are also dairy-free and vegan if you use plant-based milk like unsweetened, plain almond milk! Simply mix everything together, plop scoopfuls onto your prepared baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Flip and bake for 10 minutes more and presto, you have delicious (and healthy) corn fritters without the hassle of frying! Total win!
- 1 TBS olive oil
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour (use a gluten-free all-purpose flour for GF)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 TBS granulated sugar*
- ½ cup milk (for dairy-free use unsweetened almond milk)
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup zucchini, shredded
- Extra sea salt for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Generously grease a baking pan with olive oil, spreading it around with a spatula or your fingers until the entire surface is well-coated. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, pepper and granulated sugar.
- Add milk and stir until the mixture is smooth and there aren’t any lumps.
- Add corn and zucchini and stir until evenly mixed in.
- Drop ¼ cup portions (for large fritters) onto your prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, spray the uncooked side gently with cooking spray (I recommend this).
- Carefully flip each fritter (they should be dark/golden brown on the first side) and sprinkle the browned side with a touch of sea salt.
- Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until second side is golden brown.
- Serve warm over a salad or as a side dish for your favorite BBQ fare!
*You can omit the sugar if you like non-sweet cornbread.
I am absolutely loving the abundance of summer produce this year! In my last Moments post I reported that I was not optimistic about our garden. Well, I’m happy to report that is no longer the case and I expect to be able to harvest a few zucchini in the next week or two! I’m so excited to get to use them, along with juicy ears of corn from the Farmer’s Market, in these healthy Baked Zucchini Corn Fritters!
We seriously had a magical weekend! It is one of those that will go down in the books! It ended with us getting caught in a rainstorm on the way home from the park (and I l-o-v-e storms)! We saw this double rainbow which was breathtakingly beautiful (view from our front porch)! Then Ritch and I played late 90’s/early 2000’s music videos for the kids! I’m talking N*Synyc, Backstreet Boys, 98 Degrees…and had a dance party. My cup is so full it’s overflowing!
What is your favorite summer produce item?
Are you growing a garden? How is it going this year?
Who is your favorite boy band? (C’mon I know you have one)!
If you make something from JoyFoodSunshine I would love to see your creations! #joyfoodsunshine
Pin me for later! ????
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JoyFoodSunshine!