This dairy-free mocha latte recipe is so amazing you will feel like you are drinking a high-end latte from a fancy coffee shop...but in the comfort of your own home and for a fraction of the price! It's easy to make, healthy (paleo, vegan, with NO refined sugar) and out-of-this-world delicious!
Do you see the foam on that iced mocha latte?! I mean, really, can't you handle how perfectly fluffy it is?! And it's cold.
Yes, I made an iced mocha latte recipe that is so amazing you will feel like you are drinking a high-end latte from a fancy coffee shop...but in the comfort of your own home and for a fraction of the price! Make your own cinnamon chip scones or mocha scones and you'll feel extra fancy!
To be honest, I'm usually a straight-up, black coffee drinker (maybe with a touch of this healthy coffee creamer added). But every now and then I get a hankering for a mocha latte! So I made it my mission to create a dairy-free latte that is healthy, low in sugar, easy to make and insanely delicious...and this Mocha Latte is totally a winner folks.
How do you make a Mocha Latte at home?
My friends at Vitamix sent me their new Aer Disc Container and this mocha latte was the very first recipe I created in it! The Aer Disc Container takes the Vitamix blender and turns it into a tool that can muddle, whip and foam! I'm over-the-moon about it, because I was able to make this iced mocha latte in 2 minutes flat! Plus, it is compatible with all classic and smart blenders, so anyone can use it!
So here are a few notes about making this mocha latte!
- Blend the coconut milk. I recommend tossing the entire can of coconut milk (solid and liquid portions) for 15-20 seconds in the standard Vitamix container first. This ensures there will not be any lumps when it's poured into the Aer Disc Container to make the mocha latte!
- Brew the coffee. Use your favorite coffee beans and brew them using your favorite method. I make mine in the french press. Feel free to use your favorite coffee or espresso!
To make an Iced Mocha Latte: Chill the ingredients first!
- For this iced vegan mocha (which is absolutely perfect for summer), it's important to chill the ingredients overnight. Transfer the blended coconut milk and brewed coffee into glass jars with lids, and store them in the refrigerator overnight!
- Blend for as short a time as possible. For an iced vegan latte it's important to blend as little as possible, because blending increases the temperature of the liquid. 30 seconds is a sufficient amount of time to blend the coffee and coconut milk together to create a great foam. Blending for 10-15 seconds to combine the final ingredients into the coffee/coconut milk mixture was perfect!
To make a warm Mocha Latte: Do not chill ingredients!
- If you are more interested in a warm dairy-free latte, there is no need to chill the ingredients overnight!
- Blend longer. To heat up the dairy-free latte, you will need to blend for about 2 minutes.
How to serve a Mocha Latte
- For an iced latte, pour the finished product from the Vitamix Aer Disc Container into cups or mugs filled with ice cubes.
- For a warm mocha latte, pour the finished latte from the Vitamix Aer Disc Container into your favorite mugs!
How do you froth milk at home?
The beauty of the Vitamix Aer Disc Container is that it does the milk-frothing for you! The proof is in the pudding, look at that foam (as I mentioned before). I try to be choosy with the appliances I have in my kitchen, which is why I LOVE that the Aer Disc Container turns my Vitamix into a latte-making machine! 😉
If you have a milk frother, you may use that instead of the Vitamix. I recommend whisking or blending the ingredients (coffee, honey, vanilla and cocoa powder) together first, frothing the milk, then pouring the frothed milk into the the mixed ingredients!
What is the ratio of espresso to milk in a latte?
In this recipe I used a 1:1 ratio of coffee to coconut milk. Feel free to adjust the ratio to your liking if you so desire!
Mocha Latte Recipe: Ingredients and Substitutions
Let's chat a bit about the ingredients used in this homemade latte recipe, and some possible substitutions!
- Brewed Coffee. If you want to add an even extra boost of caffeine to this treat, feel free to use brewed espresso. Just be sure to chill it for an iced version. If you want to go the opposite direction and make this decaf, simply used brewed decaf coffee! Cold-brewed coffee is also a great choice!
- Cocoa Powder. The higher quality ingredients used, the better this mocha latte recipe will taste. It only takes 1 TBS of cocoa powder to impart a perfectly chocolate flavor, so why not use the good stuff?
- Honey. The recipe calls for a ½ to 1 TBS honey. I prefer my homemade latte less sweet, so I used ½ TBS. If you like your latte recipes on the sweeter side, then use a full 1 TBS. For a vegan version, use pure maple syrup!
What kind of milk do you use to make a dairy-free latte?
Canned Coconut Milk. To achieve the BEST foam, I recommend using full-fat, canned coconut milk or cream. Lite coconut milk can also be used.
Is almond milk good for lattes?
Meh. I would say it's not the best. I think fat is a key component in a truly amazing mocha latte. So I'd stick with coconut milk for this mocha latte recipe!
IF YOU MAKE SOMETHING FROM JOYFOODSUNSHINE I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS! DON’T FORGET TO RATE THIS RECIPE AND LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW! ALSO, FOLLOW ALONG WITH ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE AND TWITTER FOR MORE RECIPE INSPIRATION AND A GLIMPSE INTO OUR EVERYDAY LIFE!
Dairy-Free Mocha Latte in the Vitamix Aer Container
- Blend staring at the lowest setting and increasing to high. Blend for 30 seconds on high speed.
- Stop blending and add honey, cocoa powder and vanilla.
To make an Iced Mocha Latte:
- Blend starting on low speed and increasing to high for 15 seconds, or until ingredients are combined.
- Pour over ice and enjoy
To make a warm Mocha Latte:
- Do not chill ingredients.
- After adding cocoa powder and honey, blend for 2-4 minutes or until the mixture becomes warm.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JoyFoodSunshine!