The BEST strawberry banana smoothie recipe ever! It’s easy (ready in less than 5 minutes), healthy, and made with yogurt so it’s full of protein! It’s the perfect snack or breakfast!
Is there any other smoothie flavor more classic than a Strawberry Banana Smoothie?!
I’d have to say no way Jose. All of my memories of strolling through the mall in my tween-teen years involved shopping with a creamy Strawberry Banana Smoothie in one hand and my purse in the other. It was like I couldn’t possibly buy that Bath and Bodyworks lip balm if I wasn’t simultaneously sipping on a sweet fruity treat!
Well, I can only imagine what those mall smoothie places put in their creations (read: sugar), so I set out to create a healthy Strawberry Banana Smoothie that tastes just as good (or dare I say better) than those smoothies I knew and loved as a kid…and let me tell you I totally accomplished that goal!
This is seriously the BEST strawberry banana smoothie recipe ever! It’s so easy to make and comes together in under 5 minutes! Plus it’s healthy, using only a touch of honey as the sweetener and it’s loaded with whole fruits! It’s also made with yogurt, giving it a nice dose of protein and making it irresistibly creamy!
Have I convinced you yet that this Strawberry Banana Smoothie is 110% the perfect most delicious smoothie to enjoy for breakfast or a snack?!
How do you make a healthy Strawberry Banana Smoothie?
Let’s walk through the process of making this easy strawberry banana smoothie step-by-step! As long as you have a blender and all the ingredients on hand, this smoothie can literally come together in 3 minutes flat!
1: Gather the ingredients
We’ll chat more about the ingredients and possible substitutions later, but before you can make this healthy Strawberry Banana Smoothie you need to gather all the ingredients. There are a few things to take into account when choosing the ingredients to make this Strawberry Banana Smoothie recipe….
Fresh vs. Frozen Fruit?
I personally love my smoothies super thick and flavorful, so I always choose to use frozen fruit. I do not want to dilute the flavor by using ice to achieve a thick consistency, and I’m not interested in a liquidy smoothie that just tastes like flavored milk!
However, you can choose to use either depending on your preferences! I always recommend using frozen bananas for coldness and thickness, but if you’d prefer a thinner smoothie then use fresh strawberries instead of frozen in this Strawberry Banana Smoothie recipe!
To make this particular batch of Strawberry Banana Smoothies I cut up fresh strawberries (because they were on sale woo hoo) and put them in the freezer for 30 minutes to chill them!
Add honey to taste.
Honey is optional in this Strawberry Banana Smoothie recipe, however highly recommended. I wanted to recreate my favorite mall smoothie (just healthier), and the honey is what really made the flavor perfect.
When I make this healthy Strawberry Banana Smoothie for my kids & husband I use 2 tablespoons of honey because they all really love it sweet. When I make it for just myself I use 1 tablespoon.
If you don’t eat a lot of sugar and are used to less sweet-tasting treats, then you could totally get away with not using any honey at all if your bananas are ripe and your berries are sweet!
2. Put the ingredients into the blender
Put the ingredients for this Strawberry Banana Smoothie recipe into the container of your blender in the order listed. There is always a rhyme and reason behind why I write the order of ingredients in my recipes, especially when it comes to using a blender!
Always put liquids in the blender first!
In order to ensure a smooth blend it’s important to put the liquid ingredients into the blender first. This way the blades can move freely in the first few seconds of blending to really blend everything nice and smooth.
Side Note: Use a Vitamix!
This should go without saying on my blog, but to achieve the smoothest, creamiest, dreamiest Strawberry Banana Smoothie EVER I recommend using a Vitamix blender. There truly is no comparison when it comes to achieving the best blend possible.
Once the ingredients are all inside the blender, secure the lid and blend! Start on low speed and increase to high.
Blend on high speed for 30-60 seconds, or until the mixture is smooth and uniform throughout. If using a Vitamix, don’t be afraid to use the tamper to push the ingredients down into the blades to achieve the best consistency (especially if you are using frozen fruit)!
4. Serve Immediately!
Pour this smoothie into four glasses, pass them out and let everyone enjoy this Strawberry Banana Smoothie as soon as it has finished blending!
My kids and husband all raved about this healthy Strawberry Banana Smoothie. They loved it and guzzled down every last drop!
FAQs about making this Strawberry Banana Smoothie Recipe!
Can you add spinach to this Strawberry Banana Smoothie?
YES YES YES! I didn’t add any spinach to this particular batch of Strawberry Banana Smoothies for photographing purposes. (Read: spinach makes this a brown smoothie instead of pink). However I almost always add spinach when I make it for my family, and it doesn’t change the taste or texture at all! (If you use a Vitamix).
How do you make a dairy-free Strawberry Banana Smoothie?
This Strawberry Banana Smoothie recipe is very easy to make dairy-free! Simply use your favorite varieties of dairy-free milk and yogurt and make the recipe as written!
How do you make a smoothie thicker?
The key to making thick smoothies is using frozen ingredients. If you want the thickest creamiest Strawberry Banana Smoothie use frozen banana and frozen strawberries!
You can even freeze some cubes of milk to have on hand to use in smoothies! Using frozen milk cubes will make it thick and creamy without diluting the flavor with ice.
Can you use Greek yogurt in smoothies?
Absolutely yes! This recipe calls for 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt, which makes it extra creamy and thick!
Can I add protein powder to this Strawberry Banana Smoothie?
Yes! If you’d like to add more protein without effecting the flavor at all, I’d recommend adding a scoop of unflavored collagen protein!
To intensify the vanilla flavor you can also add a scoop of your favorite vanilla protein powder! Just be aware that the flavor of the protein powder you choose will effect the flavor of this recipe!
Strawberry Banana Smoothie: Ingredients & Substitutions
- Milk. I personally think this smoothie tastes the absolute best when made with whole milk! However, any dairy or non-dairy milk can be used with great results! Just remember, the higher the fat content of your milk, the creamier and richer your Strawberry Banana Smoothie will be!
- Honey. We discussed the amount of honey used earlier in this post. And honey is by far my favorite choice of sweetener in this Strawberry Banana Smoothie, however any liquid sweetener (other than honey I’d recommend maple syrup) works well in this recipe! I do not use zero calorie sweeteners in my kitchen, but if you try one let me know how it goes in the comments below so other readers can benefit from your experiment!
- Vanilla Extract. I use both vanilla Greek yogurt and vanilla extract in this recipe because I think it adds so much to the overall flavor! You could omit it, but I recommend trying it! Vanilla beans or vanilla bean paste would also taste amazing in this Strawberry Banana Smoothie!
- Strawberries. Feel free to use fresh or frozen strawberries in this recipe!
- Banana. I recommend using a whole, frozen banana to make this Strawberry Banana Smoothie! It will thicken the smoothie and give it a creamy texture. When using a high-powered blender like the Vitamix, just toss in a whole frozen banana and let it do its thing. If you’re using a different (less powerful) blender I’d recommend freezing your banana in slices or chunks!
What type of yogurt is best for smoothies?
- Yogurt. A common question about making this Strawberry Banana Smoothie is I personally choose Greek yogurt as much as possible for its high protein and lower sugar content. I also love Icelandic yogurt because it is thick and creamy! But really, any yogurt will do! I recommend using a vanilla flavored Greek yogurt for the best taste! If you use a plain variety of yogurt you may need to use more honey to get the sweetness just right! To make this Strawberry Banana Smoothie dairy-free, simply choose your favorite variety of dairy-free yogurt!
IF YOU MAKE SOMETHING FROM JOYFOODSUNSHINE I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS! DON’T FORGET TO RATE THIS RECIPE AND LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW! ALSO, FOLLOW ALONG WITH ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE AND TWITTER FOR MORE RECIPE INSPIRATION AND A GLIMPSE INTO OUR EVERYDAY LIFE!
Strawberry Banana Smoothie
The BEST strawberry banana smoothie recipe ever! It's easy (ready in less than 5 minutes), healthy, and made with yogurt so it's full of protein! It's the perfect snack or breakfast!
*whole milk makes the creamiest smoothie
**Vanilla Greek yogurt is preferred for it's higher protein and lower sugar content!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JoyFoodSunshine!