Berry Protein Smoothie
Posted May 02, 2016, Updated Sep 02, 2020
This Berry Protein Smoothie is made with 6 ingredients in 5 minutes and results in a delicious & filling smoothie! It’s perfect for an easy breakfast or lunch! Paleo, Vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free and no added sweeteners!
You all know I drink this green smoothie every morning as part of my breakfast. Well…this Berry Spinach Smoothie is another one of my faves. My love for smoothies knowns no bounds. They are the perfect, fast, easy, healthy meal option for my ladies (and gents) out there who need nutritious food in a hurry!
This particular berry smoothie is loaded with protein and is great for any and all dietary needs! It’s vegan, paleo, gluten-free, grain-free and dairy free!
What are the benefits of drinking smoothies?
When my third baby came into this world, my time became even more precious. I had four mouths to feed every day (not including my own), and I kind of lost my desire to eat. I know that sounds crazy, but at lunchtime I just wasn’t in the mood for anything.
I could never decide what I wanted and nothing sounded good to me. Don’t get me wrong…I was hungry, but I was tired! I knew I needed some serious fuel to boost me through the rest of the day, but I just didn’t care. But between nursing my sweet baby and chasing my other two kiddos around, I knew I had to treat my body right in order to function!
The solution was to include an extra smoothie, this Berry Protein Smoothie, into my day and jam-pack it full of amazing ingredients. Smoothies at lunchtime might seem strange to you, (I mean…isn’t a smoothie a breakfast food?!) but it seriously has helped me so so much. You can make a lunch loaded with protein, fruits, & vegetables in under 5 minutes with minimal cleanup. Win. Win. WIN!
What can be used as protein in a smoothie?
In this smoothie protein powder is the main ingredient that adds extra nutrition, but here are a few suggestions!
- protein powder. Orgain is my absolute favorite. I am never without both the vanilla and chocolate varieties in my pantry!
- Chia seeds. A nutritional powerhouse, these tiny seeds pack a big protein punch!
- Greek Yogurt. When I make smoothies for my kids I almost always add Greek yogurt!
- Nut butters. Peanut butter, almond butter, etc. the sky’s the limit!
- Nut Butter Powders. My favorite smoothie ever uses powered peanut butter, I love it because it tastes amazing, adds protein, is low in calories and easy to clean out of the blender!
Notes about this Berry Protein Smoothie Recipe
- Add powders after the liquid. I always add my powders right after the liquid (before the frozen fruits/greens) so they don’t “poof” up along the sides of the blender. It also keeps them from sticking to the bottom of the blender (which can happen if they are added first).
- Use frozen fruits and greens. As I’ve said before, I always…always use frozen fruits and greens in my smoothies! I love a super-cold, thick smoothie…and the best way I’ve found to accomplish this without using ice (which dilutes the flavor) is using frozen ingredients!
IF YOU MAKE SOMETHING FROM JOYFOODSUNSHINE I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS! DON’T FORGET TO RATE THIS RECIPE AND LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW! ALSO, FOLLOW ALONG WITH ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND TWITTER FOR MORE RECIPE INSPIRATION AND A GLIMPSE INTO OUR EVERYDAY LIFE!
Berry Protein Smoothie
- Put ingredients into your blender (I recommend using a Vitamix in the order listed & blend until smooth.
- Serve & drink immediately for best taste!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
This recipe always comes to my rescue when I just don’t feel like eating anything, but I still care about feeding my body with nutritious, protein-packed foods!
What about you? Are you a smoothie person? Has there been a time in your life when you just didn’t care what you ate?
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JoyFoodSunshine! 🙂