This Healthy Chocolate Pancakes Recipe is a special yet nutritious breakfast that is dairy-free & has no refined sugar! Because chocolate for breakfast is always a good choice!
I have Valentine’s Day on the brain in a major way! I think it’s because I am having serious Christmas/holiday withdrawals. For real, I shed a few tears when we took down our tree, I secretly want to watch “A Christmas Story” one more time, and my daughter still plays Christmas songs on the piano…and I totally love it. The anticipation of a holiday is just so fun! Add four kids to the mix and it’s even better!
So today we’re making this gluten-free, Healthy Chocolate Pancakes Recipe, which is the perfect Valentine’s Day breakfast! These chocolate pancakes are made with wholesome ingredients like oats, bananas and almond milk, and are gluten, dairy & refined sugar free, but no one would ever guess they’re healthy!
Plus these chocolate pancakes freeze & reheat like a dream, so you can make a batch and save the extras for later! My kids gobble these up, and ask me to make them regularly! Sometimes I even add a dollop of homemade whipped cream on top for good measure!
I don’t know about you, but when I think about Valentine’s Day the first thing that pops into my mind is chocolate. Ritch and I don’t really do gifts, but it’s pretty much an unspoken expectation that he will come home from work that day with some sort of dark chocolate for yours truly! 😉
Sometimes it’s hard for me to decide what treat I will make for our family celebration! Do I choose brownies, or fondue, or ice cream or…?! Making decisions is SO hard! However, choosing to whip up a batch of these Healthy Chocolate Pancakes for breakfast on the holiday that is all about chocolate, is totally a no-brainer!
How to make heart-shaped pancakes
I even made some of this chocolate pancakes recipe into heart shapes! I put the batter into one of these Wilton Squeeze Bottles and just drew the hearts freehand, then filled them in. You could use a metal heart-shaped cookie cutter and simply pour the batter into it too!
How to make Healthy Chocolate Pancakes
This chocolate pancake recipe is best when it’s made in the Vitamix, or another high-powered blender! It’s super easy to whip up too! Simply toss all the ingredients into the blender and go to town! Here are a few tips to ensure the perfect pancakes every time.
- Blend dry ingredients first. In order to ensure the oats have reached a flour-like consistency, be sure to blend the dry ingredients first. Then add the wet ingredients!
- Adjust the amount of milk. I have found that the size and ripeness of the banana used effects the amount of milk needed to achieve the perfect texture. If you like thick and hearty pancakes, add less milk. If you prefer thin, light, pancakes, add more milk! It’s really up to you!
- Mini chocolate chips. Please, please use mini chocolate chips in this recipe. They disperse more evenly throughout the batter, ensuring little bursts of chocolate flavor in every bite!
More delicious pancake recipes:
- These are seriously the best, fluffiest banana pancakes ever!
- We make these Greek Yogurt Pancakes all the time, they’re a family and reader favorite!
- If you’re looking for the best whole wheat pancakes, these are easy and healthy!
- These Spinach Pancakes have sneaky veggies in them! They’re green so they’re perfect for St. Patty’s Day or Christmas!
- These zucchini banana pancakes are perfect for summer!
Healthy Chocolate Pancakes Recipe: Substitutions
These pancakes are actually super versatile! Here are a few potential substitutions!
- Old-fashioned oats. If you do not have a high-powered blender, you can buy pre-made oat flour and substitute it 1:1 for the old-fashioned oats!
- Almond milk. Any type of milk works excellently in this recipe. I have used almond milk, an almond/coconut milk blend, and regular 2% milk with great results!
- Honey. Maple syrup or your favorite liquid sweetener can be used in place of honey if desired!
IF YOU MAKE SOMETHING FROM JOYFOODSUNSHINE I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS! DON’T FORGET TO RATE THIS RECIPE AND LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW! ALSO, FOLLOW ALONG WITH ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND TWITTER FOR MORE RECIPE INSPIRATION AND A GLIMPSE INTO OUR EVERYDAY LIFE!
Healthy Chocolate Pancakes Recipe
- Warm an electric griddle to 350 degrees F. (medium heat).
- Combine the oats and cocoa powder in the container of your Vitamix (or other high-powered blender) and blend, starting on low speed and increasing to high, until the mixture reaches a flour-like consistency (about 15-30 seconds).
- Add banana, honey almond milk, sea salt vanilla and baking powder and blend until combined.
- Add egg and pulse to combine. If batter looks too thick, add more almond milk 1 TBS at a time until your desired consistency is achieved.
- Stir in mini chips by hand.
- Melt 1 TBS butter or coconut oil on your warm griddle (or spray it lightly with cooking spray).
- Drop batter in ¼ cup portions onto the pre-heated griddle, with at least 1” of space between each pancake.
- Cook on the first side until the edges start to become darker brown and look set, and bubbles begin forming throughout the batter (about 2-4 minutes).
- Flip and cook on the second side for 3-4 minutes or until it is lightly golden brown.
- Repeat until all the batter has been used.
- Serve warm with pure maple syrup and fresh berries!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JoyFoodSunshine!