This is the best apple crisp recipe EVER! It’s easy to make with only 8 ingredients! A favorite fall dessert that everyone loves! Serve it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream! Watch the video to learn how to make apple crisp step-by-step!
Apple crisp is a classic fall dessert that we make all the time, and is the best apple crisp recipe ever! It’s made from scratch with only a handful of simple ingredients including fresh apples, warm cinnamon and old-fashioned oats!
If you don’t have time for chilling pie crusts, like in these apple pie or apple crumble pie recipes, then this apple crisp recipe is exactly what you need! Even if you do have time, I would venture to say that I prefer apple crisp over pie (gasp), because it’s just that delicious!
The buttery apple crisp topping paired with the sweet and spicy apple filling is fall perfection in a baking dish! Serve it warm with a scoop (or two) of vanilla ice cream and you’ll be everyone’s favorite baker!
How to make Apple Crisp
I love this apple crisp recipe because it’s so simple to make! There are a few steps but they’re all straightforward and easy, so let’s walk through them together (and don’t forget to watch the video)!
Make the Apple Crisp Topping
Start by using a fork, pastry cutter or your hands to cut the slightly-softened butter into the dry ingredients in the crisp topping. The mixture should look like the photo on the right, kind of like sand with a few chunks of butter!
Add the oatmeal to the butter/dry ingredient mixture and stir until it’s evenly distributed. Then set the crisp topping aside while you make the filling!
Make the Apple Crisp Filling
Here are a few notes on making the apple crisp filling, including which apples to choose and how to peel/slice them!
What are the best apples for apple crisp?
Everyone has their favorite apple variety to bake with, mine is a tossup between Pink Ladies and Granny Smith. However, I usually just choose a variety that’s on sale! I love the sweet/tart contrast! Here are some of my suggestions for apples to use in this apple crisp recipe!
- Granny Smith (used in this recipe)
- Pink Ladies (aka: Crisps Pink)
- Golden Delicious
How do you slice apples for apple crisp?
The first step in this apple crisp recipe is to peel, core and slice t the apples. I have one of these apple peeler, corer, slicers and it’s a HUGE time saver! However, mine is currently packed away, so I had to do it the old-fashioned way and just peel the apples then cut them! I prefer smaller apple chunks in my apple crisp, so that’s what I did as you can see in the photo below!
Pre-cook the apples
Once the apples are peeled, cored and sliced, it’s time to pre-cook them. Place them in a microwave-safe dish and cook on high for 6 minutes.
Then transfer the cooked apples in a colander to cool and drain for at least 10 minutes. Make sure you leave space at the bottom of the colander for the water to drain!
Make the apple crisp filling
Mix the filling ingredients together until they’re evenly combined. I usually mix the filling ingredients with these same fork I used to make the crumb topping!
Next, add the mixed try ingredients to the cooked, cooled and drained apples until everything is evenly distributed.
Put it all together
Choose a baking dish: Add the apple filling to a prepared baking dish. I usually use a 9×9″ baking dish, but you can use an 8×8″ dish, or as pictured here, a 10 x7″ dish. You can also use a round casserole dish. The important thing is that whatever dish you choose has a capacity of at least 2 to 2.5 quarts.
Next, use your hands to evenly sprinkle the crumble topping over the filling!
Now it’s time to bake! Bake the apple crisp until the filling is bubbly and the top is lightly browned. If you notice the top browning before the filling bubbles, simply tent the pan with aluminum foil and continue baking!
Set the apple crisp on a wire rack to cool for at least 30 minutes. This cooling time allows the filling to gel and everything to firm up a bit before serving!
This apple crisp recipe is best served warm! Here are some more serving suggestions:
- Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top
- drizzle this apple crisp with with some caramel sauce
- Add a sprinkle of nuts (like these cinnamon sugar pecans or candied almonds) for some crunch
Apple Crisp Recipe: Ingredients and Substitutions
As always, I like to take a moment to chat about the ingredients in this apple crisp recipe and some possible substitutions!
- Apples. We chatted about apples in the post above, I recommend a sweet/tart apple like granny smith or pink lady!
- Granulated sugar. Regular white granulated sugar and organic cane sugar works well in this apple crisp recipe!
- Brown sugar. Light or dark brown sugar can be used! Dark brown sugar will give it a more molassesy taste.
- All-purpose flour. To make this easy apple crisp recipe gluten-free, substitute an all-purpose gluten-free baking flour for the all-purpose flour!
- Lemon juice. there really isn’t a great substitute for lemon juice! If you don’t have any and you’ve already started making this apple crisp recipe, it can just be omitted. However I really love the little bit of brightness and tang it imparts in the dish!
- Cinnamon. The quality of ground cinnamon used in this recipe matters! Cook with a high-quality cinnamon for the best results!
- Old-fashioned oats. Quick-cooking oats can be used as well. However old-fashioned are my favorite!
IF YOU MAKE SOMETHING FROM JOYFOODSUNSHINE I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS! DON’T FORGET TO RATE THIS RECIPE AND LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW! ALSO, FOLLOW ALONG WITH ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE AND TWITTER FOR MORE RECIPE INSPIRATION AND A GLIMPSE INTO OUR EVERYDAY LIFE!
Easy Apple Crisp Recipe
Apple Crisp Filling:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9x9” baking dish, set aside.
Make Crisp Topping:
- Place softened butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and sea salt in a medium sized bowl. Use your hands, a fork or a pastry cutter to cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles a coarse meal with buttery chunks.
- Add oats and stir until evenly combined, set aside.
Make the filling:
- Place the peeled and cored apples in a microwave safe dish and heat for 6 minutes, until apples are slightly soft.
- While apples are in the microwave, in a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, granulated sugar, flour cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
- When apples are finished cooking in the microwave, put them in a colander to drain excess water. Let them cool and drain in the colander for at least 10 minutes.
- Transfer cooled & drained apples to a bowl, add lemon juice, then dry ingredient mixture and stir until mixture is homogenous (uniform throughout).
Putting it together.
- Place apple crisp filling into the prepared baking dish.
- Evenly sprinkle crisp topping over apple crisp filling.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned and the filling is bubbly.
- Cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve in small bowls topped with your favorite vanilla ice cream!
Notes on how to make an apple crisp:
- Precook the apples: Don't forget to precook the apples and drain them in a colander. This will prevent a wet and mush apple crisp.
- Choose a baking dish: Add the apple filling to a prepared baking dish. I usually use a 9x9" baking dish, but you can use an 8x8" dish, or as pictured here, a 10 x7" dish. You can also use a round casserole dish. The important thing is that whatever dish you choose has a capacity of at least 2 to 2.5 quarts.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JoyFoodSunshine!