This is the BEST chocolate chip banana bread recipe! It’s moist with a perfect crumb, easy to make, only takes 5 minutes to mix together, and it’s loaded with bananas and chocolate chips! This banana chocolate chip bread is the perfect recipe to use overripe bananas!
This chocolate chip banana bread is a recipe that I make almost weekly in our house, and it’s seriously the best chocolate chip banana bread you will ever eat! It’s moist with a perfect crumb and only takes 5 minutes to mix together! Plus it’s so easy to make that my 8 year old daughter regularly whips it up solo, without any supervision from mom!
This recipe is true to it’s name, and is loaded with bananas and chocolate chips! It is the perfect way to use overripe bananas! I basically took my best banana bread recipe (which is amazing by the way) and tweaked it a little to make up for the addition of chocolate chips (in volume mostly, so that it still fits into a loaf pan).
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe: Ingredients and Substitutions
Let’s take a minute to chat about the ingredients used in this choc chip banana bread recipe, and possible substitutions.
- Overripe Bananas. Buy some extra bananas and let them get extra brown just to make this recipe! If you use yellow/green bananas (which are seen in the photograph below, but are only for show, the mashed bananas were super brown and therefore not very photogenic), your bread will lack moisture and sweetness.
- Butter. I always bake with salted butter, however unsalted butter works equally well in this banana chocolate chip bread. You can substitute up to half of the butter (¼ cup) with canola oil or even applesauce if you would like. For a dairy-free version use vegan butter (like Earth Balance), ghee or coconut oil (however coconut oil will leave the bread with a little coconut flavor)!
- Granulated sugar. Any granulated sugar works well in this recipe. I prefer to use organic cane sugar.
- Brown Sugar. This recipe calls for light brown sugar, but if you want a little more molasses flavor you may use dark brown sugar instead!
- All-purpose flour. For the best results I recommend using all-purpose flour. However bread flour also works well in this chocolate chip banana bread recipe. You could substitute up to ½ cup of the flour with whole wheat pastry flour…but it will change the final product slightly. For a gluten-free version, use 1:1 all purpose gluten-free baking flour.
- Chocolate Chips. Any variety of chocolate chips works well in this banana chocolate chip bread! I usually opt for semi-sweet chips because I think they have the perfect amount of sweetness for this recipe. I will discuss other mix-in options when we discuss how to make the recipe below.
Looking for a healthier banana bread recipe? Then try my beloved Paleo Banana Bread or this Double Chocolate Chocolate Zucchini Banana Bread! This classic pumpkin bread is another favorite quick bread of ours too!
How to make Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Even though this recipe is super easy, let’s walk us through the process step-by-step so that you end up with perfect chocolate chip banana bread every single time!
1. Mash the bananas!
The very first step in this chocolate chip banana bread recipe is to mash the bananas! Add the whole bananas to a large mixing bowl and use a fork or a potato masher to mash them! I have had this potato masher for over a decade, and it’s the only way I ever mash anything (bananas, potatoes, beans, etc). I love it!
Are my bananas ripe enough to make banana bread?
Make sure you use overripe, brown bananas! They have the best flavor, maximum sweetness, and are the easiest to mash! They should be very dark brown or almost black and soft to the touch!
2. Mix wet ingredients together
Next, mix the wet ingredients together. Be sure the butter is melted and the eggs are room temperature for the best results! To quickly make a cold egg room temperature, simply submerge the egg in warm water and let it sit for 5-10 minutes!
3. Add Sugars and mix until combined
I always recommend adding sugar to the wet ingredients before adding the dry ingredients. Especially in recipes, like this choc chip banana bread, that are mixed by hand. Stir the mixture thoroughly until the sugar is dissolved and there are no lumps.
4. Add dry ingredients
The next step in this chocolate chip banana bread recipe is adding the dry ingredients. You can mix them together in a separate bowl and then add them to the wet ingredients, however that just makes one more dish to clean! So I usually just add the dry ingredients to wet mixture and stir them a little bit on the surface before combining the two!
5. Add Chocolate Chips
Gently stir the chocolate chips into the batter. I find that 1 cup of chocolate chips is the perfect amount, yielding chocolatey goodness in every bite without overpowering the banana bread taste. Feel free to add up to ½ cup more if desired!
What can I add to banana bread?
If you’re looking to add something other than chocolate chips to this recipe, here are some great mix-in ideas!
- Cinnamon chips
- White chocolate chips
- Dried fruit (cranberries, rasins, etc.)
- Swirl of peanut butter or Nutella
6. Pour batter into pan & bake
Next pour your well-mixed, chocolate chip banana bread batter into a greased loaf pan! Use a spatula to spread the batter evenly in the pan. Then put the pan onto the lowest rack in the preheated oven and wait! Note: It’s very important to grease your loaf pan well to ensure easy removal! I use a non-stick spray. However you can rub the sides with butter or shortening if desired!
How do you know when chocolate chip banana bread is done?
This easy chocolate chip banana bread is done when the following occurs:
- The top is golden-brown and set (not jiggly).
- The sides of the bread start to slightly pull away from the loaf pan.
- A cake tester inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean or with very few crumbs.
Side note: I am obsessed with this cake tester. My mom bought it for me one Christmas and I honestly thought I would never use it….but I was SO wrong. I use it every time I bake and even purchased a second one! $6 well spent!
7. Cool & remove from pan
Let the banana chocolate chip bread cool in the loaf pan on a wire rack for at least 2 hours, or overnight. This will ensure that the loaf doesn’t tear or come apart when it’s removed. To remove the choc chip banana bread from the pan, take a knife or a thin spatula and gently separate the bread from the sides of the loaf pan. Shake the pan to see if you have released the sides. Once the bread is released from the pan, turn it out onto a wire rack to finish cooling (if you only waited 2 hours)!
FAQs about Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Here are some commonly asked questions about making this chocolate chip banana bread recipe!
How do you store chocolate chip banana bread?
Store this chocolate chip banana bread in an airtight container or plastic bag to ensure it does not dry out. If you plan on eating the entire loaf in a day or two, feel free to store it at room temperature. If it will take longer, I recommend storing this best banana bread in the refrigerator.
Can you freeze chocolate chip banana bread?
YES! I recommend freezing this banana bread in slices in an airtight container! That way you can pull out a slice at a time to enjoy! You can also individually wrap the slices in plastic wrap to prevent drying out!
How do you keep chocolate chip banana bread moist after baking?
The key to keeping this easy banana bread super moist after it has baked is storing it in an airtight container or ziploc bag as soon as it is cut into. Don’t leave the cut loaf sitting out, exposed to the air, for longer than necessary!
Since this is absolutely the best chocolate chip banana bread EVER, it stands on it’s own beautifully and doesn’t need anything extra to taste amazing! However, here are a few of our favorite toppings that we like to slather on our warm banana bread:
- Peanut butter or any other nut/seed butter. Try making this vanilla peanut butter or vanilla almond butter!
- Slather it with this cinnamon honey butter!
- Butter with a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar
- Drizzle of honey or maple syrup
IF YOU MAKE SOMETHING FROM JOYFOODSUNSHINE I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS! DON’T FORGET TO RATE THIS RECIPE AND LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW! ALSO, FOLLOW ALONG WITH ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE AND TWITTER FOR MORE RECIPE INSPIRATION AND A GLIMPSE INTO OUR EVERYDAY LIFE!
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9x5” loaf pan, set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together melted butter, bananas, eggs and vanilla. Stir until combined.
- Add granulated sugar and brown sugar. Stir until combined and the mixture is smooth.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt and cinnamon and stir until the mixture is smooth and uniform throughout.
- Add chocolate chips and stir until evenly distributed.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. If desired, sprinkle a few extra chocolate chips on top.
- Bake on the lowest rack in the preheated oven for 55-65 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of the banana bread comes out with just some moist crumbs. (If the top starts browning too much before the toothpick comes out clean, loosely tent the loaf with aluminum foil).
- Cool in the baking pan on a wire rack for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- Use a butter knife to release the sides of the bread from the pan if necessary.
- Put the banana bread on a cooling rack and let cool completely.
How to store chocolate chip banana bread:Store this chocolate chip banana bread in an airtight container or plastic bag to ensure it does not dry out. It will stay fresh at room temperature for 3 days, or in the refrigerator for 1 week.
Can you freeze chocolate chip banana bread?YES! Freeze this banana bread in slices in an airtight container. That way you can pull out a slice at a time to enjoy! You can also individually wrap the slices in plastic wrap to prevent drying out!
Ingredient Substitutions:Here are some possible ingredient substitutions that can be made in this chocolate chip banana bread recipe:
- Salted Butter. Unsalted butter works equally well . You can substitute up to half of the butter (¼ cup) with canola oil or even applesauce. For a dairy-free version use vegan butter (like Earth Balance), ghee or coconut oil (however coconut oil will leave the bread with a little coconut flavor).
- Granulated sugar. Any granulated sugar works well in this recipe. I prefer to use organic cane sugar. Coconut sugar can also be used.
- Light Brown Sugar. dark brown sugar works in this recipe, it just imparts a more molasses taste.
- All-purpose flour. For the best results I recommend using all-purpose flour. However bread flour also works well. You could substitute up to ½ cup of the flour with whole wheat pastry flour...but it will change the final product slightly. For a gluten-free version, use 1:1 all purpose gluten-free baking flour.
- Chocolate Chips. Any variety of chocolate chips works well in this banana chocolate chip bread! You can use many other mix-ins like nuts, dried fruit, other baking chips, etc.
More of our favorite breakfast & banana recipes:
We take breakfast seriously! Here are some of our most favorite breakfast recipes!
- Who doesn’t love french toast?! Our recipe is the best ever!
- These are literally the best banana muffins you will ever make or eat! Seriously the best.
- These cinnamon rolls are to die for! Plus they can be made ahead!
- This banana cake is better than Sara Lee and you have to make it asap!
- Try this healthy banana bread! It’s delicious and no one can tell it’s good for you!
- I love a good quiche, like this crustless quiche or this quiche with a hash brown crust!
- Other egg dishes like this frittata and egg casserole (egg bake) are easy and healthy!
- If you love baked oatmeal try our pumpkin baked oatmeal, apple cinnamon baked oatmeal, blueberry baked oatmeal, and everyone’s favorite – peanut butter banana baked oatmeal.
- These mocha chocolate scones and these cinnamon chip scones are some of my all-time favorites.
- Everyone needs to try this BEST green smoothie recipe! And this strawberry banana smoothie and this chocolate peanut butter green smoothie!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JoyFoodSunshine!