Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Posted Dec 22, 2019, Updated Dec 21, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This is the best chocolate chip banana bread recipe! It’s moist with a perfect crumb, easy to make in 5 minutes and it’s loaded with bananas and chocolate chips! This banana chocolate chip bread is the perfect recipe to use overripe bananas!
This chocolate chip banana bread is a recipe that I make almost weekly in our house, and it’s seriously the best chocolate chip banana bread you will ever eat!
It’s moist with a perfect crumb and only takes 5 minutes to mix together! Plus it’s so easy to make that my 8 year old daughter regularly whips it up solo, without any supervision from mom!
This recipe is true to it’s name, and is loaded with bananas and chocolate chips! It is the perfect way to use overripe bananas! I basically took my best banana bread recipe (which is amazing by the way) and tweaked it a little to make up for the addition of chocolate chips (in volume mostly, so that it still fits into a loaf pan).
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe: Ingredients and Substitutions
Let’s take a minute to chat about the ingredients used in this choc chip banana bread recipe, and possible substitutions.
- Overripe Bananas. Buy some extra bananas and let them get extra brown just to make this recipe! If you use yellow/green bananas, your bread will lack moisture and sweetness.
- Butter. I always bake with salted butter, however unsalted butter works well in this banana chocolate chip bread. You can substitute up to half of the butter (¼ cup) with canola oil or even applesauce if you would like. For a dairy-free version use vegan butter (like Earth Balance), ghee or coconut oil (however coconut oil will leave the bread with a little coconut flavor).
- Granulated sugar. Any granulated sugar works well in this recipe. I prefer to use organic cane sugar.
- Brown Sugar. This recipe calls for light brown sugar, but if you want a little more molasses flavor you may use dark brown sugar instead.
- All-purpose flour. For the best results I recommend using all-purpose flour. However bread flour also works well in this recipe. You could substitute up to ½ cup of the flour with whole wheat pastry flour, but it will change the final product slightly. For a gluten-free version, use 1:1 all purpose gluten-free baking flour.
- Chocolate Chips. Any variety of chocolate chips works well in this banana chocolate chip bread! I usually opt for semi-sweet chips because I think they have the perfect amount of sweetness for this recipe. I will discuss other mix-in options when we discuss how to make the recipe below.
Looking for a healthier banana bread recipe? Then try my beloved Paleo Banana Bread or this Double Chocolate Chocolate Zucchini Banana Bread! This classic pumpkin bread is another favorite quick bread of ours too!
How to make Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Even though this recipe is super easy, let’s walk us through the process step-by-step so that you end up with perfect chocolate chip banana bread every single time! Don’t forget to watch the video.
Mash the bananas
The very first step in this chocolate chip banana bread recipe is to mash the bananas! Add the whole bananas to a large mixing bowl and use a fork or a potato masher to mash them! I have had this potato masher for over a decade, and it’s the only way I ever mash anything (bananas, potatoes, beans, etc). I love it!
Combine wet ingredients
Next, mix the wet ingredients together. Be sure the butter is melted and the eggs are room temperature for the best results! To quickly make a cold egg room temperature, simply submerge the egg in warm water and let it sit for 5-10 minutes!
I always recommend adding sugar to the wet ingredients before adding the dry ingredients. Especially in recipes, like this choc chip banana bread, that are mixed by hand. Stir the mixture thoroughly until the sugar is dissolved and there are no lumps.
Stir in dry ingredients
The next step in this chocolate chip banana bread recipe is adding the dry ingredients. You can mix them together in a separate bowl and then add them to the wet ingredients, however that just makes one more dish to clean! So I usually just add the dry ingredients to wet mixture and stir them a little bit on the surface before combining the two!
Add Chocolate Chips
Gently stir the chocolate chips into the batter. I find that 1 cup of chocolate chips is the perfect amount, yielding chocolatey goodness in every bite without overpowering the banana bread taste. Feel free to add up to ½ cup more if desired!
Pour batter into pan & bake
Next pour the well-mixed, chocolate chip banana bread batter into a greased loaf pan! Use a spatula to spread the batter evenly in the pan. Then put the pan onto the lowest rack in the preheated oven and wait!
You can also make banana chocolate chip muffins, which are delicious too!
Note: It’s very important to grease your loaf pan well to ensure easy removal! I use a non-stick spray. However you can rub the sides with butter or shortening if desired! This chocolate chip banana bread is done when the following occurs:
- The top is golden-brown and set (not jiggly).
- The sides of the bread start to slightly pull away from the loaf pan.
- A cake tester inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean or with very few crumbs. Side note: I am obsessed with this cake tester.
Cool & remove from pan
Let the banana chocolate chip bread cool in the loaf pan on a wire rack for at least 2 hours, or overnight. This will ensure that the loaf doesn’t tear or come apart when it’s removed.
To remove the choc chip banana bread from the pan, take a knife or a thin spatula and gently separate the bread from the sides of the loaf pan. Shake the pan to see if you have released the sides. Once the bread is released from the pan, turn it out onto a wire rack to finish cooling (if you only waited 2 hours)!
Since this is absolutely the best chocolate chip banana bread EVER, it stands on it’s own beautifully and doesn’t need anything extra to taste amazing! However, here are a few of our favorite toppings that we like to slather on our warm banana bread:
- Peanut butter or any other nut/seed butter. Try making this vanilla peanut butter or vanilla almond butter!
- Slather it with this cinnamon honey butter!
- Butter with a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar
- Drizzle of honey or maple syrup
How to store chocolate chip banana bread:
Store any leftovers in an an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Freeze either an entire loaf or individual slices by letting the bread cool completely. Then, wrap the loaf/slices in plastic wrap and store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 months.
FAQs about Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Store this chocolate chip banana bread in an airtight container or plastic bag to ensure it does not dry out. If you plan on eating the entire loaf in a day or two, feel free to store it at room temperature. If it will take longer, I recommend storing this best banana bread in the refrigerator.
YES! I recommend freezing this banana bread in slices in an airtight container! That way you can pull out a slice at a time to enjoy! You can also individually wrap the slices in plastic wrap to prevent drying out!
The key to keeping this easy banana bread super moist after it has baked is storing it in an airtight container or ziploc bag as soon as it is cut into. Don’t leave the cut loaf sitting out, exposed to the air, for longer than necessary!
Make sure you use overripe, brown bananas! They have the best flavor, maximum sweetness, and are the easiest to mash! They should be very dark brown or almost black and soft to the touch!
If you’re looking to add something other than chocolate chips to this recipe, here are some great mix-in ideas!
White chocolate chips
Dried fruit (cranberries, rasins, etc.)
Swirl of peanut butter or Nutella
This chocolate chip banana bread is done when the following occurs:
The top is golden-brown and set (not jiggly).
The sides of the bread start to slightly pull away from the loaf pan.
A cake tester inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean or with very few crumbs.
Side note: I am obsessed with this cake tester.
If you make and love our recipes, it would mean so much to me if you would leave a comment and rating! And don’t forget to follow along with us on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, and Youtube – be sure to tag @joyfoodsunshine and use the hashtag #joyfoodsunshine so we can your creations!
Best Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe
- ½ cup salted butter melted
- 3 bananas (large, overripe, 1 ½ cups mashed)
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9×5” loaf pan, set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together melted butter, mashed bananas, eggs and vanilla. Stir until combined.
- Add granulated sugar and brown sugar. Stir until combined and the mixture is smooth.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt and cinnamon and stir until the mixture is smooth and uniform throughout.
- Add chocolate chips and stir until evenly distributed.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. If desired, sprinkle a few extra chocolate chips on top.
- Bake on the lowest rack in the preheated oven for 55-65 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of the banana bread comes out with just some moist crumbs. (If the top starts browning too much before the toothpick comes out clean, loosely tent the loaf with aluminum foil).
- Cool in the baking pan on a wire rack for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- Use a butter knife to release the sides of the bread from the pan if necessary.
- Put the banana bread on a cooling rack and let cool completely.
How to store chocolate chip banana bread:Store any leftovers in an an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
FreezeFreeze either an entire loaf or individual slices by letting the bread cool completely. Then, wrap the loaf/slices in plastic wrap and store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Ingredient Substitutions:Here are some possible ingredient substitutions that can be made in this chocolate chip banana bread recipe:
- Salted Butter. Unsalted butter works equally well . You can substitute up to half of the butter (¼ cup) with canola oil or even applesauce. For a dairy-free version use vegan butter (like Earth Balance), ghee or coconut oil (however coconut oil will leave the bread with a little coconut flavor).
- Granulated sugar. Any granulated sugar works well in this recipe. I prefer to use organic cane sugar. Coconut sugar can also be used.
- Light Brown Sugar. dark brown sugar works in this recipe, it just imparts a more molasses taste.
- All-purpose flour. For the best results I recommend using all-purpose flour. However bread flour also works well. You could substitute up to ½ cup of the flour with whole wheat pastry flour…but it will change the final product slightly. For a gluten-free version, use 1:1 all purpose gluten-free baking flour.
- Chocolate Chips. Any variety of chocolate chips works well in this banana chocolate chip bread! You can use many other mix-ins like nuts, dried fruit, other baking chips, etc.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
More delicious recipes
We take breakfast seriously! Here are some of our most favorite breakfast recipes!
- Who doesn’t love french toast?! Our recipe is the best ever!
- These are literally the best banana muffins you will ever make or eat! Seriously the best.
- Double chocolate banana bread is a cross between a brownie and banana bread and it’s so delicious!
- These cinnamon rolls are to die for!
- This banana cake is better than Sara Lee and you have to make it asap!
- Try this healthy banana bread! It’s delicious and no one can tell it’s good for you!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JoyFoodSunshine!
This is the best banana bread. I did make a couple of changes I used the double batch I changed the sugar to 3/4 cup dark brown and 3/4 white so a little less sugar I did have 8 bananas. My loaf pans were being used so I made them in 10-inch round cake pans and baked about 50 min. It was so good !! warning if you love banana bread you might eat the entire thing. I tried one with and one without chocolate chips my favorite was with.
Love this recipe! So flavor. I would suggest not stating where to place the oven rack. I burned a batch doing this. Moving back to the middle, created a great product.
Just popped this into the oven in our new house!! Can’t wait to taste it… We always make your standard loaf so we thought we’d try the fancy one tonight!!!
My family loves this recipe! I just have one question, have you made it in mini loaf pans? And how long to bake them if so?
There is seriously nothing quite as delicious as a thick slice of chocolate chip banana bread.
I noticed that this recipe has 1 1/2 cups of flour but on the other recipe for banana bread calls for 1 3/4??
Hey Joyce! Yes! I adjusted this recipe slightly to account for the volume of chocolate chips! I used one less banana and adjusted the flour accordingly!