As you already know, I’m all about sneaky veggies. I want my kids to love eating vgetables, and usually they do! But for days when you don’t feel like being the veggie-eating-police, kid-friendly recipes that include a hearty serving of greens are a must. These Zucchini Banana Oatmeal Pancakes are amazing! Seriously! They are fluffy and flavorful! Plus they’re gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar free and full of nutritious ingredients!
These Zucchini Banana Oatmeal Pancakes are another made-in-the-Vitamix creation. When I add veggies to a recipe I like to blend them so well that the only way their presence can be detected is by the color of the final product. BONUS, you score mom points for serving colored food! Woo Hoo! Everyone in my family (including my sweet, toothless baby) devours these! They’re the perfect healthy meal for kids & adults of all ages!
Let’s get started! First, grind your oats in your blender to make oat flour. Transfer from your Vitamix into a small bowl and add the rest of your dry ingredients then set it aside! Next, put all your wet ingredients except for the egg into your Vitamix and blend them together until they’re totally smooth.
After the mixture is smooth, add the dry ingredients to the Vitamix and blend well. Finally, add the egg and pulse until it’s just combined. Your batter should be smooth and just a little thick. If it seems too thick for you, add extra milk 1 TBS at a time!
Next heat up that griddle and start cooking! I love using a griddle because I can make at least 8 Zucchini Banana Oatmeal Pancakes at once so it saves a bunch of time (something I never seem to have enough of, especially in the mornings)!
My daughter has been watching me blog for a few months now. I asked her what kind of recipe she would create if she had a blog. She said, and I quote, “OooOo I know! Pancakes with chocolate chips, cinnamon chips and sprinkles.” So I told her that was an amazing idea, and that we would make it happen
So here you go…Bethany’s first blogging creation! I’d say my daughter is a genius.
Cook the Zucchini Banana Oatmeal Pancakes on the first side for about 3-5 minutes. Once you see the edges start to harden and little bubbles begin to form in the batter, flip them over! Cook on the second side for 3-5 minutes until golden brown. Remove from skillet and dive right in!
I topped these with a 1:1 mixture of warm peanut butter and maple syrup! Oh my word it was to DIE for! Just combine equal amounts of maple syrup and peanut butter and gently warm the mixture until the peanut butter is completely melted. YUM.
Most days lunch is my least favorite meal to serve because I just made breakfast (seriously didn’t we just eat like one hour ago?!) and dinner is on the horizon. I usually end up drinking a smoothie and making the kids a sandwich or something easy like cheese and crackers.
There have been many days when these Zucchini Banana Oatmeal Pancakes have saved me from the lunch-time slump! They’re super healthy, my kids never complain about eating them, and they’re so easy to make! Pancakes…not just for breakfast! 🙂
Zucchini Banana Oatmeal Pancakes
- 2 cups gluten-free old-fashioned oats
- ¼ cup almond meal/flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 TBS coconut sugar*
- 1 cup zucchini grated
- 1 cup almond milk regular milk works as well
- 1 large ripe banana
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg**
- Optional mix-ins: chocolate chips blueberries, cinnamon chips, sprinkles, etc.
- Heat a large griddle to 350 degrees F.
- Put oats into your blender ([Vitamix|http://vitamixtrack.com/click.track?CID=292558&AFID=417333&ADID=1450715&SID=&NonEncodedURL=
- ] preferred) and blend on high until they are the consistency of flour (20-30 seconds). Pour into a small bowl.
- Add your almond meal, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and coconut sugar to the oat flour and set aside.
- Put your grated zucchini, almond milk, banana and vanilla in your blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Add dry ingredients to your Vitamix and blend on medium speed until combined.
- Add the egg and blend until just combined.
- When your griddle is hot and batter is ready, grease it with oil or non-stick spray.
- Scoop ¼ cup portions of batter onto the greased griddle. Cook pancakes for 3-5 minutes, until the batter starts to bubble and the edges get firm.
- Flip and cook on the other side for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Enjoy!
*You can use any granulated sugar of your choice! I have used coconut sugar and raw sugar!
**For vegan option: mix 1 TBS ground flaxseed with 2.5 TBS hot water. Let sit for 5 minutes until gelatinous. Use in recipe in place of egg.
If batter is too thick, add extra milk 1 TBS at a time until it reaches your desired consistency!
OooOoo that peanut butter & maple syrup combo is legit!
Do you have a favorite sneaky veggie recipe? What do you feed your kids (or yourself) for lunch? Seriously suggestions would be amazing! 🙂
If you make something from JoyFoodSunshine I would love to see your creations! #joyfoodsunshineInstagram: @joyfoodsunshine
Pin for later!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JoyFoodSunshine!