Chocolate Peanut Butter Green Smoothie! A healthy smoothie recipe packed with protein and greens that tastes like a peanut butter cup!
I’ve been SO excited to write this post and share one of my favorite things with you! So I won’t wait one more second to introduce you to my favorite Chocolate Peanut Butter Green Smoothie!
I have told you before that I am a creature of habit. I adore mornings. I wake up, workout, clean up, then eat breakfast! Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day because I get to eat one of these and drink this Chocolate Peanut Butter Green Smoothie.
I bought my Vitamix three years ago and have had a smoothie every day for breakfast since. I’m not kidding…I have even brought it along on a handful of family getaways…because you never need a vacation from smoothies for breakfast!
If you’ve read my blog for more than 3 seconds, it’s no surprise that my favorite smoothie tastes like a peanut butter cup. In my humble opinion, there is no greater flavor combination than chocolate and peanut butter. I have spent three years drinking this smoothie…and to me, it is perfection in a glass.
I take my breakfasts seriously. After a good workout I need to refuel before I get to mommy & wifey all day. I fill that blender to the TOP folks. And drink it all by myself. No shame, just YUM!
Notes about this Chocolate Peanut Butter Green Smoothie
- Add powders after the liquid. I always add my powders right after the liquid (before the frozen fruits/greens) so they don’t “poof” up along the sides of the blender. It also keeps them from sticking to the bottom of the blender (which can happen if they are added first).
- Use frozen fruits and greens. As I’ve said before, I always…always use frozen fruits and greens in my smoothies! I love a super-cold, thick smoothie…and the best way I’ve found to accomplish this without using ice (which dilutes the flavor) is using frozen ingredients!
I started adding chocolate protein powder to this Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie recipe when my third baby was born. (I always use plant-based/vegan varieties). Nursing and chasing two other kids around left me completely exhausted. I realized that in order to function I needed to increase my protein intake.
Adding a scoop of protein powder not only improved and intensified the chocolate flavor (yay), but it also gave me increased energy throughout the day. If you love chocolate & peanut butter and want to start your day right, this smoothie is for you! 🙂
What can be used as protein in a smoothie?
In this healthy peanut butter smoothie, protein powder is the main ingredient that adds extra nutrition, but here are a few suggestions!
- protein powder. Orgain is my absolute favorite. I am never without both the vanilla and chocolate varieties in my pantry!
- Chia seeds. A nutritional powerhouse, these tiny seeds pack a big protein punch!
- Greek Yogurt. When I make smoothies for my kids I almost always add Greek yogurt!
- Nut butters. Peanut butter, almond butter, etc. the sky’s the limit!
- Nut Butter Powders. I love it because it tastes amazing, adds protein, is low in calories and easy to clean out of the blender!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Green Smoothie: Ingredients & Substitutions
- Almond milk. Any non-dairy or regular dairy milk works very well in this recipe!
- Chocolate Protein Powder. Orgain chocolate protein powderI use because it’s my favorite in both taste and nutrition! However, feel free to substitute your favorite variety!
- Peanut Butter Powder. Regular peanut butter can be substituted for the peanut butter powder, however it will increase the total amount of calories in this peanut butter smoothie!
- Greens. I typically use 3 cups spinach, 1 cup kale. However you can play with the ratios and kinds of greens used to suit your tastes!
IF YOU MAKE SOMETHING FROM JOYFOODSUNSHINE I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS! DON’T FORGET TO RATE THIS RECIPE AND LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW! ALSO, FOLLOW ALONG WITH ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND TWITTER FOR MORE RECIPE INSPIRATION AND A GLIMPSE INTO OUR EVERYDAY LIFE!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Green Smoothie
- Add ingredients to your blender (Vitamix) in the order listed.
- Turn blender on low and slowly increase to high speed.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into glass and ENJOY!
What about you? Do you love smoothies? What’s your favorite smoothie flavor?
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JoyFoodSunshine!