Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie
Posted Mar 07, 2016, Updated Aug 22, 2021
Chocolate Peanut Butter Green Smoothie! A healthy smoothie recipe packed with protein and greens that tastes like a peanut butter cup! Plus it’s dairy-free, gluten-free, and vegan!
This is, hands down, the best healthy chocolate peanut butter smoothie recipe. I drink one every day (no I’m not exaggerating) alongside my favorite healthy breakfast bars, and have for almost a decade!
If you’ve been around here for a while, it’s no surprise that my favorite smoothie tastes like a peanut butter cup. In my humble opinion, there is no greater flavor combination than chocolate and peanut butter.
I have spent years drinking this chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie, and to me, it is perfection in a glass. It’s easy to make in less than 5 minutes, and is loaded with protein and nutrients so you feel full all morning long.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Green Smoothie: Ingredients & Substitutions
- Almond Milk. Any non-dairy or regular dairy milk works very well in this recipe! I love using a coconut almond milk blend.
- Chocolate Protein Powder. I use Orgain chocolate protein powder because it’s my favorite in both taste and nutrition! However, feel free to substitute your favorite variety.
- Peanut Butter Powder. Regular peanut butter can be substituted for the peanut butter powder, however it will increase the total amount of calories.
- Greens. I typically use 3 cups spinach, 1 cup kale. However you can play with the ratios and types of greens used to suit your tastes.
How to make a Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie
This chocolate peanut butter green smoothie is very easy to make. Simply add all the ingredients to the container of a Vitamix blender (or another high-powered blender), blend and enjoy. Here are a few tips to create the perfect smoothie every time.
Use Frozen ingredients. If you like super cold, creamy, thick smoothies then I suggest storing your greens and bananas in the freezer. Using frozen fruits and vegetables results in an ultra-creamy consistency without adding ice, which can water down the flavor.
Use a Vitamix. No one wants to have to chew their smoothie! Using a high-powered blender is absolutely crucial if you plan on drinking smoothies as a regular part of your healthy lifestyle! I use my Vitamix multiple times every day, and couldn’t live without it in my kitchen! Check out my Vitamix Buying Guide to determine which model is right for YOU!
Drink immediately. This chocolate peanut butter green smoothie is best enjoyed right away! When I was a teacher I would blend it up before I left for the gym/work, and put it in a cup that was made to keep drinks cold (like this).
It lasted really well in that travel cup because it was kept cold! Just don’t leave it out at room temperature too long before drinking!
This chocolate peanut butter smoothie can be refrigerated for up to two days or frozen for around 2 months, although I suggest drinking it immediately.
Yes! Drinking green smoothies will give you a rich source of vitamins and minerals. It is a great way to incorporate leafy greens into your diet.
The best way to get thick smoothies is to use frozen ingredients (especially fruit and greens). Chia seeds also help thicken smoothies.
In this healthy peanut butter smoothie, protein powder is the main ingredient that adds extra nutrition, but here are a few suggestions!
– Protein Powder. Orgain is my favorite. I am never without both the vanilla and chocolate varieties in my pantry!
– Chia Seeds. A nutritional powerhouse, these tiny seeds pack a big protein punch!
– Greek Yogurt. When I make smoothies for my kids I almost always add Greek yogurt!
– Nut Butters. Peanut butter, almond butter, etc. the sky’s the limit!
– Nut Butter Powders. I love it because it tastes amazing, adds protein, is low in calories and easy to clean out of the blender!
If you make and love our recipes, it would mean so much to me if you would leave a comment and rating! And don’t forget to follow along with us on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, and Youtube – be sure to tag @joyfoodsunshine and use the hashtag #joyfoodsunshine so we can your creations!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie
- Add ingredients to the container of a blender (Vitamix) in the order listed.
- Turn blender on low and slowly increase to high speed.
- Blend until smooth (about 50-60 seconds)
- Pour into glass and enjoy!
- Almond milk. Any non-dairy milk or regular dairy milk works very well in this recipe! I love using a coconut almond milk blend!
- Chocolate Protein Powder. I use Orgain chocolate protein powder because it’s my favorite in both taste and nutrition! However, feel free to substitute your favorite variety!
- Peanut Butter Powder. Regular peanut butter can be substituted for the peanut butter powder, however it will increase the total amount of calories in this peanut butter smoothie!
- Greens. I typically use 3 cups spinach. However you can use up to 1 cup of kale in place of 1 cup of spinach!
Store/FreezeThis smoothie can be refrigerated for up to two days or frozen for around 2 months, although I suggest drinking it immediately. To freeze, pour the smoothie mixture into a silicone tray (like an ice cube tray or these souper cube trays) and store for up to 2 months.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
More delicious smoothie recipes
I wrote a post listing all of our favorite smoothie recipes here.
- The BEST green smoothie ever.
- This healthy mango smoothie is so so good.
- One sip of this pineapple smoothie will transport you to some beach, somewhere.
- This strawberry banana smoothie is a reader favorite and a total classic.
- Try something different and make smoothie bowls.
- Have you ever tried making a zucchini smoothie? SO Delicious.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JoyFoodSunshine!